Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Sellier and Bellot Hollow points

Hi Guys

Are the Sellier and Bellot Jacketed Hollow points any good?

I found 115 grain for 9mmP

Since I dont have my license i couldnt buy but if they good at least they available

Think the guy said R270 for 50.

Where did you find them?

User

Being 115gr, penetration will be an issue.
    IIRC they are pretty hot, equivalent of a +P+ load.
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
    Hi Guys

Are the Sellier and Bellot Jacketed Hollow points any good?

I found 115 grain for 9mmP

Since I dont have my license i couldnt buy but if they good at least they available

Think the guy said R270 for 50.

Brendan'

I do agree on limited penetration with the 115gr 9mm JHPs, especially of heavy clothing or glass, etc. but do you have actual chronograph figures for that +P+ claim? Their website says 377 m/s (1237FPS) MV for this load...fast but not exactly in what most would consider +P+ range for a 115gr round.

Remember, there are NO guidelines on +P+ ammo...SAAMI. NATO or anyone else. Most true 115gr subgun +P++ stuff runs 1400FPS or so...definitely too hot for a 9mm pistol. The old WW 115gr 'ISP' JHP loads (I still have some) run around 1300-1350 FPS more or less from a 4in barrel and they are HOT! (as in 'sign a Department waiver or you don't get them' hot!)

OTOH...Remington Golden Sabre 230gr +P often runs close to 950-975FPS in a 5in .45...hot enough to cause extreme parts wear and even breakage. IMO it is stupid to take a chance on breaking your pistol to get another 50-75 FPS out of a given load...but that's just me.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Ummm Ikor I seem to recall the velocity being around the 1300FPS range when i had a look at them some time back, but that may just be my goldfish memory acting up on me again...
    Agreed on the SAAMI spec for +P+, all the 115gr +P+ JHP's I've shot/had were all around 1300-1350FPS range.

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    Brendan'

I do agree on limited penetration with the 115gr 9mm JHPs, especially of heavy clothing or glass, etc. but do you have actual chronograph figures for that +P+ claim? Their website says 377 m/s (1237FPS) MV for this load...fast but not exactly in what most would consider +P+ range for a 115gr round.

Remember, there are NO guidelines on +P+ ammo...SAAMI. NATO or anyone else. Most true 115gr subgun +P++ stuff runs 1400FPS or so...definitely too hot for a 9mm pistol. The old WW 115gr 'ISP' JHP loads (I still have some) run around 1300-1350 FPS more or less from a 4in barrel and they are HOT! (as in 'sign a Department waiver or you don't get them' hot!)

OTOH...Remington Golden Sabre 230gr +P often runs close to 950-975FPS in a 5in .45...hot enough to cause extreme parts wear and even breakage. IMO it is stupid to take a chance on breaking your pistol to get another 50-75 FPS out of a given load...but that's just me.

User

For some strange reason S&B load the hollowpoints quite a bit slower than their ball round. I haven't seen any testing scientific or even otherwise on these and would be inclined to rather load up with S&B ball.

Khumba will have some other JHP's available soon. That's the route to go.

User

Default Re: Sellier and Bellot Hollow points NOW PRVI hollow points

Hi Guys,

Ok and how about PRVI hollow points?

Camdix sells and have stock.

I cant remember the weight, I know they were heavier than the S&B's

cheers

User

Quote Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
    Hi Guys,

Ok and how about PRVI hollow points?

Camdix sells and have stock.

I cant remember the weight, I know they were heavier than the S&B's

cheers
    Have had a look at them, don't look great. Basically a SJHP (lead hp), don't expand very well from the ones I've tested.
    Would far rather use S&B ball.

Privi makes pretty darned good ammo. I use it in my ARs a lot and keep their 75gr OTM load in some Pmags for SD use. Never used any of their pistol stuff nor have I seen any test results, but if pushed to find some decent 147gr JHP and could not locate any ammo I was familiar with, I'd give it a whirl. FWIW their specs for .223 ans 5.56 rifle ammo tend to be very close to actual performance velocities.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    Privi makes pretty darned good ammo. I use it in my ARs a lot and keep their 75gr OTM load in some Pmags for SD use. Never used any of their pistol stuff nor have I seen any test results, but if pushed to find some decent 147gr JHP and could not locate any ammo I was familiar with, I'd give it a whirl. FWIW their specs for .223 ans 5.56 rifle ammo tend to be very close to actual performance velocities.
    Their rifle stuff is good, but pistol JHP's are not working looking at IMO.
    S&B ball is still my first choice when the chips are down and there is no decent JHP ammo available.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast