Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Breach loading shotgun...what is required?

I most certainly wouldn't risk it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    Necro post...turns out damascus steel shotties work fine with nitro powder...as far as bird shot is concerned.
    Just like noted before: until they go boom! Thousands and thousands of them has been destroyed by using nitro bird shots. The pressures are way too high with any nitro load and it's not just the maximum pressure, but the pressure curve is different with a mild explosive (black powder) and a propellant (nitro powder).

Just saying...

User

An article by Andrew Tonkin in the SA Magnum stated otherwise, I piled up sand bags and fired with a string, have been shooting it quite happily since.

It is a myth that they cannot handle nitro powders, if not a myth, there hasn't been proof of it.

Any pics of these pipe bombs?

User

Most of them have been blow up way before phones with camera were invented: lack of recent photos means people have learned the lesson already. Repeating the same error isn't wise, you won't eat poisonous mushrooms either, even if you won't die every time. But here are some pictures of such an occurrence:

But you do what you do, not our problem

User

'Damascus' covers an awful lot of ground ito homogeneity and toughness. It's not close to being one thing. There's no possible way of giving a blanket answer that black powder proofed Damascus barreled guns are safe for nitro loads.

When gun makere transitioned to making nitro proofed guns they didnt mark them as such for fun.

User

An article by Andrew Tonkin in the SA Magnum stated otherwise, I piled up sand bags and fired with a string, have been shooting it quite happily since.

It is a myth that they cannot handle nitro powders, if not a myth, there hasn't been proof of it.

Keep in mind that Damascus steel is a layered and hammer bonded steel.
    Heated then hammered, folded, twisted or turned, layered again, hammered again etc to achieve the desired pattern.
    2 different metals forced together into a bond.
    Not entirely 100% fused together.

It is unlike a specifically blended and molten steel that is blended with the desired different metals for a specific application or properties that is moulded, rolled, hammered etc and has a tighter or stronger molecular bond and far superior.

One or maybe even 10 shots fired with modern ammo under a sandbag may be fine in a Damascus barrel BUT no. 11 or 20 whilst it is in your hands may be catastrophic.

If you want to fire it and not have black powder ammo available, do research and reload to make up your own lower powered rounds and look forward to another day.

Advice is exactly that, use it or don't use it...
    The choice is yours.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post

But you do what you do, not our problem
    Reminds me of this one guy in a mobile home who kept muttering "I want to drive up, not down" and had to be cunnignly turned around by this Finnish bloke

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

User

Touché!

This is a when not if situation.

The gun simply hasn’t been built for the pressure and use you wish to subject it to and you’re relying on the estimated factor of safety from a gunmaker 100 years ago. If you absolutely don’t want to load BP, you could chance your eyesight and fingers to some low powered hand loads.

But in all fairness, at least tell the person you sell or lend it to what you have done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Necro post...turns out damascus steel shotties work fine with nitro powder...as far as bird shot is concerned.
    Not all of them. If your's does, you are just lucky.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast