Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: First Time Handgun Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Patocazador View Post
    Impala are a bit smaller than our whitetail deer so a HP that opens quickly might work for a broadside lung shot. However, the penetration would be even worse. When hunting with a marginal cartridge (which I consider the .357 mag.), I think it is imperative to use a bullet that will exit thus leaving a blood trail.
    Ah. Thank you for the feedback Pato. So hardcast lead would be optimal? Impala produces some interesting bullets that may be an answer, see the link below.

http://impalabullets.co.za/products-page-handgun/

Banned

I would shy away from a bullet as light as 110 gr. Go with the one that's been proven to work well, a heavy hard cast Keith-style lead bullet. You can get the molds from a couple of companies and I'm sure there is no shortage of wheel weights or lead/antimony alloys to cast your own.

In the first row above I would suggest the last one (358-158-RF) or the third one from the right (C358-158-SWC). If you can find a heavier one, so much the better.

Found some 158gr SWC hard cast bullets. Opted for Hodgdon Lil'Gun propellant because not much else available. Can't wait for July to go hunting.

User

still not first hunting... two years after bought the rifle for hunting...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2