Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hunting crossbow

Hi. I'm interested in getting a cross bow for hunting. There is one on offer. Carbon express covert cx1. Does anyone own one or hunted with it?

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Hunting crossbow

Not sure what area you in, but take a drive to or call Archers Edge, they bring in Carbon express and others, will be very hard to beat their service.

Cool. Jhb. Any experience shooting with them?

User

Hi Brickwall. Are you a bowhunter or rifle hunter. Have you shot a bow before?

Crossbow hunting in SA is very small. For W$S a crossbow it not a good idea and a bow is a better option, Sitting in a hide is good enough for a crossbow. After about 10 shots the hype will fade and you will ask yourself why did you purchase it. If your decision is final to get it go and use it more than often and join a bowclub to get enough shooting and expierence.

Hi. I'm primarily a rifle hunter. Wanted to do more walk and stalk so crossbow . Why the above enquire...... there's one on special so I'm enquiring about this particular cross bow and anyone who has shot with it or hunted with it.

Thanks for your input anyway

Banned

I hunt with a cheap Barnett crossbow due to shoulder problems. Zuku is right .. to a point. Unlike a bow they are heavy, loud, and difficult to carry comfortably while walking.

If I could, I would go back to a compound bow in a minute.

Thanks for the suggestions on the difference between bows and crossbows.........

But my enquire is about the carbon express and if anyone has shot one or hunted with one

I merely shoot Compound for fun with my Daughter.

What I do know is that a crossbow needs alot more pounds to get to the compound.
    For example a 70pound Compound bow will out shoot even a 150 pound Crossbow.
    this is due to the time the bow and string have contact with arrow to transfer energy.
    Or something to this matter.

If I look at compound hunting bow shooting distances. Which is very short distances.
    I cant see that a Crossbow will work at all. As it will be even shorter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I merely shoot Compound for fun with my Daughter.What I do know is that a crossbow needs alot more pounds to get to the compound.For example a 70pound Compound bow will out shoot even a 150 pound Crossbow.this is due to the time the bow and string have contact with arrow to transfer energy.Or something to this matter.If I look at compound hunting bow shooting distances. Which is very short distances.I cant see that a Crossbow will work at all. As it will be even shorter.
    Where did you hear this? Any references to the above?

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Where did you hear this? Any references to the above?
    Here you go.

Are crossbows more powerful than compound bows?

Compound Bows typically have draw weights less than one half of a crossbow. A 70 # compound bow is faster and has more energy than150# crossbow. ... Crossbows have a much higher draw weight (150# is average) to generate the speed and energy due to the much shorter power stroke (14” is average) of a crossbow.

And

https://science.howstuffworks.com/crossbow2.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast