my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Scorched Earth - The Story of South African Concentration Camps

"Classical European colonialism was not a simple white vs black story. Whites were divided and numerous "white" countries were colonies of others (including Ireland, Poland and Ukraine). Black soldiers and rulers were a major part of the imperial armies. Poverty and disenfranchisment was the lot of the majority of Western workers. And, as this video shows, Britain's largest and most brutal (the casualty rate for the conquered population was far higher than in the Algerian and Vietnamese wars) imperial war in Africa was against (white) Afrikaners. This 2000 documentary, "Scorched Earth," tells the story of the destructive policy that was used by the British military during the Anglo Boer War 1899-1902 . It docuses on Britain’s merciless “Scorched Earth” policy and the concentration camps for Afrikaner women, children and black people, as well as the way it shaped the collective South African psyche and politics of the twentieth century."
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Default Re: Scorched Earth - The Story of South African Concentration Camps

" An army larger than the Boer population assembled" unbelievable!

So often ( almost every time) Canada, Australia and New Zealand are recognized for their role in the ABW.

The British Raj ( India ) sent more soldiers to South Africa than those colonies combined!
    Last edited by KK20; 16-07-2018 at 11:46.

Last edited by KK20; 16-07-2018 at 11:37.

User

I took my daughter to the woman’s memorial earlier in the year, we have these field trips with me trying to teach her stuff.
    Anyways, if you walk the lanes, rows upon rows of walls with the names of dead woman and children, it gives you a chill if you understand the full reality of it.
    As I explained to her, a person living in a normal house, sleeping in a warm bed, I got the sense she had absolutely no idea, now way to understand the concept.

You stand there and wonder if somehow it was real, humans have this thing of out of sight, out of mind, we have short memories. When you are sick for prolonged periods, you cannot remember how it felt to be healthy, and when you are healthy, you can’t remember how it feels to be sick. When you sleep on the ground in the veld for a week, then you know the difference the first night you hit your bed, but after a few days you forget what the ground feels like.

So I think it is easy to water down what happened, especially if you weren’t there. Several times on this very forum people have mentioned that boers cannot forgive what the british did to them, but then they have no idea what the british did to the boers, not at all.

Thank you for sharing this Messor.

User

The following is also from the woman's memorial.

Now sorry it's in afrikaans, but in short, it talks about being stepped on, and getting up.
    The woman's memorial, unlike some other history books, have been corrected, correctly if I may say, to display the hardship of both black and white people.
    History is history, you don't get to choose your version, it's either right or it's wrong.

Now I believe that people that studies this field, and knows what went on, will also understand these events basically caused apartheid in this country. The boers were so broken down, and stepped on, they vowed that never again will they allow others to step on them, they will dominate whatever comes their way. And the rest of course is history, we had apartheid, but also for it's small numbers an extremely powerful military force.

The first trick, is don't step on other people, you will cause more trouble than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Now sorry it's in Afrikaans, [/IMG]
    No need to be sorry.