Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Re-blueing of glock slide

Can the glock slide be redone back to orginal? and who is the best to do this ?

Its not blueing, but a phosphate finish.

Glock is the best to do it.

It requires removal of the firing pin channel liner and replacing it after the treatment.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Its not blueing, but a phosphate finish.
    Interesting...

So... I've got half a drum of Technical Grade (75% concentration) Phosphoric Acid in the workshop...

It's actually the active ingredient of RustBuster, RustConvertor or whatever. When a surface is rusted the Iron particles on the surface are transformed into Iron Oxide by the oxidation (rusting). The Phosphoric Acid converts the Iron Oxide into Iron Phosphate and neutralises the oxidation process.

First the items turn deep black (as in a Glock slide), if you don't interrupt the process the phosphated bits eventually turn white (sometimes this takes weeks).

I wonder what the details of the Glock phosphating process entails? Anyone want to come round and try it out on their slide?
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Best bet is to send it back to Austria.

Remember though that the black finish doesn't offer the rust protection. That comes from the Tenifer which is in the metal.

Default Re: Re-blueing of glock slide

Easier said than done who else in good old south africa will and can do this for me? with out having to go thru all the hassle of sending it back to Austria .There must be somebody out there?

User

Put a teflon moly finish on it. You should be able to find the paint in SA and have somebody apply and bake it for you. I did that to my G26 that was involved in a motorcycle accident (on my hip), it scratched the snot out of the slide, and I lost the front nitesite. I sent it back to Glock, and they did the most horrible refinish on it that I have ever seen. They did not buff it out, looks like they used a tarbrush and just splashed it on. They also replaced the front sight with one that could only be seen at the dark side of the moon. I took it to my favorite Fal builder, he laughed his arse off at the crock job, and refinished it for me for $40, which is less than I paid Grock to bugger it up. It's been 10 years and the finish is holding up well, and looks much better than anything else I have ever seen. Similar to the Black T finish, just a little shiny, but not too much, and it is very slick. I also have 2 Fal's refinished with it and an M1 Garand. The Garand especially looks very sharp.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

"I sent it back to Glock, and they did the most horrible refinish on it that I have ever seen"

can never be ;)

User

Quote Originally Posted by john noy View Post
    Easier said than done who else in good old south africa will and can do this for me? with out having to go thru all the hassle of sending it back to Austria .There must be somebody out there?
    getting it back to austria isnt actually that difficult... pm Big T and he'll advise you i'm sure

There are so many good 'shake and bake' finishes out there now that I would just do it myself at home...'course I am single, so no one here to care what I put in my oven

Order from Brownell's. I have used their Baking Laquer with excellent results on a Sig 220 that had been bead blasted. Still holding up fine after almost 3 years now.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

What about having the slide kalguarded can it be done and has anybody done it before?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast