Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Scopes, help me choose please

I have to get a scope for my .30-06 which will be used for hunting mostly. I have to decide between the Bushnell Engage 4-16x44 and the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50. I really like the Bushnell for a lot of reasons but most people I asked said to get the Vortex. The Bushnell sells for R8300 at S&O and the Vortex for R7600. What should I get? Any other worthwhile scopes in this price range?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Scopes, help me choose please

Vortex!!!!!!!!!

User

Damn, at that price difference definitely the Vortex!

If hunting in the bush you will loose many opportunities at a minimum of 6.5X magnification. You simply will not acquire your target quickly enough. You ideally want to go down to 4X and if possible 3X for the bush.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

I think it would be a wise decision to first have a look personally at the two, and others in your price range. Compare their optical clarity, eye relief, field of view, ease of use before deciding.

User

https://www.safarioutdoor.co.za/coll...d-scope-170684

Why not a Leupold? Decent magnification range on that one and you said mostly for hunting. The 50mm objective will give you a bigger exit pupil so you can shoot in lower light conditions as well.

At the end of the day take all the scopes you are interested in and have a look through them there at S&O. Whichever one is the one you feel is the clearest is the one you should buy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by .264 View Post
    I think it would be a wise decision to first have a look personally at the two, and others in your price range. Compare their optical clarity, eye relief, field of view, ease of use before deciding.
    I had a look at them and they are quite similar in those aspects. The bushnell has target turrets with the zeroing function which I also like

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    If hunting in the bush you will loose many opportunities at a minimum of 6.5X magnification. You simply will not acquire your target quickly enough. You ideally want to go down to 4X and if possible 3X for the bush.
    This.

Understand where you will be hunting. 4-16 will cover nearly every opportunity, bushveld and plains. Minimum of 6 will be an issue in bushveld.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Can't agree more with this. The other issue is adjusting parallax when in these situations, plains hunting is another story. I have a 3-9x40 Lynx LX2 and it serves me great. The optics are more than satifactory it's a real "mik and druk". For bushveld hunting nothing more is required.

Sightron Stac series are also great

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast