Thread: Spider bite?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default Re: Spider bite?

A black widow's venom is not enough to kill a healthy, fully grown man. No need to worry - maybe just relocate the spider and spray the fence around the base to avoid further nesting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    A black widow's venom is not enough to kill a healthy, fully grown man. No need to worry - maybe just relocate the spider and spray the fence around the base to avoid further nesting.
    Rubbish. Depending on the sub-species their venom can be significantly more virulent than Rattlesnake venom, drop for drop. What they are not, is aggressive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Rubbish. Depending on the sub-species their venom can be significantly more virulent than Rattlesnake venom, drop for drop. What they are not, is aggressive.
    Correct, around 15x more potent. Volume plays an important role though, so even when bit, a healthy grown man is not likely to die (just get quite sick), unlike when a rattlesnake gives you a bite. Leave that untreated and chances are you will not survive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Correct, around 15x more potent. Volume plays an important role though, so even when bit, a healthy grown man is not likely to die (just get quite sick), unlike when a rattlesnake gives you a bite. Leave that untreated and chances are you will not survive.
    The point is this virulent little bastard will put you down quickly. I know of a bite that was serious to have the unfortunate in ICU about 6 hours later. They bite and have the capability kill you fast enough. Do not underestimate them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    The point is this virulent little bastard will put you down quickly. I know of a bite that was serious to have the unfortunate in ICU about 6 hours later. They bite and have the capability kill you fast enough. Do not underestimate them.
    Oh I'm not underestimating them, I just think people make a bit too a big a deal of the "dangers" of these. I have never met a single person who has been bitten by one, and I know only one kid I went to school with you was nabbed on the leg by a sack spider which left a large hole, and that's it. Snakes - same thing. Only two people I know who were bit by snakes - one was a snake handler and the other was chowed during feeding time on his shoulder by his 3m python.

I knew A LOT more people who were killed in car accidents.