Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Spider bite?

Default Re: Spider bite?

This is what my bite looked like;

Note two holes.

Necrosis cause the flesh to rot away hence the need for antibiotics.

On the mend

Back to normal
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Antiboitics ASAP
    Day 3 already and bite seems better.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    Agreed - Violin spider or family. I got zapped on my forearm a good few years ago in Bots. Landed up with a hole about an inch in diameter right down to the muscle. Doc scraped it out like it was a boil - sharp pair of scissors. EINAAAA! I must admit that he gave me the choice between fast fix or slow fix. I guess the slow way was pilletjies.
    Been there, done that back in 1993. Bitten on my right leg. By day 4 it looked like I'd been bitten by a Puff Adder My GP did the same, sprayed what I thought was liquid nitrogen on it, lanced it and scraped it out. I was between passing out and puking after I saw what came out. Black blood (or so it looked), puss and other NASTY stuff.

User

Quote Originally Posted by bronxlive View Post
    Be careful of spider bites.
    An employee's mom was bitten by a bag spider(sak spinnekop).
    The flesh started rotting away at the bite mark and made a nasty hole.
    Docs managed to clean the wound only to see her back in hospital n few weeks later as the venom started affecting her kidney.
    I suspect this to be a Sac Spider as the reaction hasn't been as adverse. Or perhaps a Violin Spider (both are endemic to the region) that didn't get me properly.
    On a side note very interesting observation regarding the vet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zuku View Post
    That little cratermarks may look like a ringworm
    I very much doubt it. A few folks who've looked at it, all concur a Spider was likely the culprit.

User

This is what my bite looked like;

Note two holes.

Necrosis cause the flesh to rot away hence the need for antibiotics.

On the mend

Back to normal
    That's the one, I remember it well. Lucky you caught yours early. My right leg had a hole I could stick my pinky finger into up to the first joint. Needless to say it took about 3 months to heal. From what I've read, it all depends on how much venom is injected (which seems obvious), as some bites are dry. The luck of the draw it seems.
    Glad you're healed Andrew. Did you ever see the culprit or rather find what was left of him?
    The common denominator seems to be that the culprit is almost never seen or found afterwards.

User

So the antibiotics have nothing to do with the spider bite, it is just to stop any bacterial infection that might come from necrosis.
    It cannot stop the spreading or the action of the venom, nor the size of the wound cavity.

Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    So the antibiotics have nothing to do with the spider bite, it is just to stop any bacterial infection that might come from necrosis.
    It cannot stop the spreading or the action of the venom, nor the size of the wound cavity.

Is this correct?
    That's the way I understand it. indirectly it affects the wound cavity as the sooner you stop the necrosis the better.

Must be lot's of Violin Spiders in your neck of the woods?
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

That's the way I understand it. indirectly it affects the wound cavity as the sooner you stop the necrosis the better.

Must be lot's of Violin Spiders in your neck of the woods?
    Yes but bites are rare.

What bothers me is spiders are very delicate creatures, you roll over on one in the bed and it's dead, it might bite you but it will die. So in essence people should find dead spiders in their beds if this is where they are bitten. Anybody will make the connection if they develop symptoms. So I don't really understand why so few spider bites are identified.

Also some people say most of the bites are attributed to sac spiders not violin spiders, because they are more aggressive.

I dunno, just because I have seen a natural bacterial infection in the skin look exactly like a spider bite. Some bacterial infections enters small wounds and the result might just be a carbon copy of a spider bite. People also leave these a long time before they take antibiotics and often the affected wound cavity is of the same dimensions.

With the sheer amount of people we have, and the number of spiders living all around us, yet the few recorded bites, I think statistically someone must be REALLY unlucky to get bitten by one.

User

It's almost impossible to diagnose a spider bite unless you actually see it happen these wounds have all sorts of origins from splinters ingrown hairs or even just a blocked pore what really causes the damage is the bacterial infection that this invites hence the usual quick reaction and recovery after starting antibiotics

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast