Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Spider bite?

User

Default Re: Spider bite?

I have a particular fence post by my pigs I like to put my hand on whilst watching the swine do their things. I decided to look in the post to see who has been making the webs I just keep ignoring...oh a widow spider...hmmm...not going to do much learning on it anymore.

User

A black widow's venom is not enough to kill a healthy, fully grown man. No need to worry - maybe just relocate the spider and spray the fence around the base to avoid further nesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    I have a particular fence post by my pigs I like to put my hand on whilst watching the swine do their things. I decided to look in the post to see who has been making the webs I just keep ignoring...oh a widow spider...hmmm...not going to do much learning on it anymore.
    Does the web spell a word?
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    Button spiders are very successful creatures, they live just about everywhere.
    One thing is for certain, they are very reluctant to bite.
    Daily millions of people in SA alone gets in very close proximity to them, as mentioned here, and nothing ever happens.

People fear spiders only when they see them, but live alongside them for the rest of the time quite normally.

User

Skaap it did! It said "doom free zone". And you know the power of signs, guest she'll have to stay.

User

A "boereraat" (what would the English equivalent be?) for spider bite is to plaster some baking soda (koeksoda / Sodium Bicarbonate) on the wound. I suppose any other alkaline / base would work too. This neutralizes the venom over time. Leave it on for at least 2 days, more is better. Having the bicarb damp helps with absorption.

If you don't neutralize the venom, a piece of you will rot and die and eventually dry out and fall off.

Go to your doctor anyway and get antibiotics or whatever is needed to fight the inflamation and pain.

User

There is absolutely no reliable way to identify a spider bite based on a wound alone. New research is also suggesting that the vast majority of "wounds" identified by medical professionals is as being a spider bite is in fact not a spider bite. There are quite literally millions of scenarios that could produce such a wound.

Regardless the advice stays the same. If you are concerned see a medical professional, as even when they incorrectly diagnose spider bite they still correctly treat the symptoms and help reduce the necrosis and inflammation

What type of doctor would a person go see?
    Google says a Toxicologist, if that a correct?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    A black widow's venom is not enough to kill a healthy, fully grown man. No need to worry - maybe just relocate the spider and spray the fence around the base to avoid further nesting.
    Rubbish. Depending on the sub-species their venom can be significantly more virulent than Rattlesnake venom, drop for drop. What they are not, is aggressive.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Rubbish. Depending on the sub-species their venom can be significantly more virulent than Rattlesnake venom, drop for drop. What they are not, is aggressive.
    Correct, around 15x more potent. Volume plays an important role though, so even when bit, a healthy grown man is not likely to die (just get quite sick), unlike when a rattlesnake gives you a bite. Leave that untreated and chances are you will not survive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast