User

Default WATCH: Gun-wielding hijackers outsmarted by fast-thinking driver

It’s been a month since Tiaan Coetzer and his wife had to fight for their lives.
    On Monday, July 16, at about 5:45, Coetzer and his wife were nearly hijacked at their business premises in Robertsham, south of Johannesburg.
    "We were only planning on making a quick stop at the office and then head home, but as we were approaching the gate we noticed an unfamiliar Audi following us."
    Coetzer said they felt uneasy and decided to spring into action.
    "My wife was in the driver's seat. We quickly knew what was about to happen."
    The 33-year-old said rather than surrender, they decided to fight.
    "We made a pact that we were in it to win it."
    'There was no right decision'
    When the scenario played out, Coetzer assumed the role of navigator.
    As the men approached their car, he told his wife to reverse so they could make a dash for the gate.
    "At this point, there was no right decision. Either we stayed and complied with the hijackers or we fight for our freedom."
    Coetzer said they were apprehensive about staying because they didn’t know what else the hijackers would do to them.
    They feared that if they got out of the car they would be killed.
    Damages on car
    He said they decided to use their car as a weapon to help them get out of the situation.
    "The more criminals get away with it [crime], the more they will do it."
    Coetzer acknowledges that they were lucky to make it out alive and that this approach may not work for everyone.
    "We were making decisions from one split second to another."
    The couple was able to escape the situation without sustaining any injuries, but their vehicle wasn’t as lucky.
    There was damage to the side mirror, front bumper and dents on the body of the car.
    Following the incident, the couple opened a case of attempted armed robbery with the Booysens SAPS.
    They handed over both surveillance and dashcam footage. The assailants are still at large.
    Article here: https://www.news24.com/Video/SouthAf...river-20180816

To boot, there's a discussion about how they acted like unreasonable persons and they should have just "complied" on MyBB. So this is also kind of a posse call-up. I'm fighting the fight, but some help would be nice. Check it out here: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...hinking-driver

User

Default Re: WATCH: Gun-wielding hijackers outsmarted by fast-thinking driver

Incredibly brave. Well done, although I would have been happier if at least one hijacker took two in the pip.

User

Not only did they get nothing, but their wheels got farked in the process.
    Excellent action from the driver. Thumbs up!

I am quite surprised that both attackers never used their weapons as they both had ample and easy opportunities to shoot at the vehicle - any thoughts on that?

Also confused why they actually went into the office park if they suspected they were being followed...

But exceptionally glad they're all good!

I think the driver and occupant got away lucky. Surprised the hijackers did not shoot. Maybe fake guns?

User

Good action by the intended victims

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    I am quite surprised that both attackers never used their weapons as they both had ample and easy opportunities to shoot at the vehicle - any thoughts on that?

Also confused why they actually went into the office park if they suspected they were being followed...

But exceptionally glad they're all good!
    This. I'm glad they got away unharmed.
    But feel it wasn't their skill or quick reactions, but the lack of the attackers aggression that allowed them to get away unhurt.
    I feel they got very very lucky that didn't end worse.

Glad they got away safely but things could have gone south very quickly the way it happened. If you look at how the Audi was parked in the middle of the gate, they used the car as a barricade which to me is a big hint that they might have had fake guns and that's why they didn't do anything more than they did.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

I do suspect that shooting a vehicle full of holes drops the selling price

User

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    I do suspect that shooting a vehicle full of holes drops the selling price
    Or perhaps they had no bullets or these were gas pistols! More proof never to comply, just wait for your chance.

Some of the comments I had to clean up on EWN was just sad, especially from the community.