User

Default Maglite LED upgrades

Good morning ladies and gents,

So a while ago my dad told me he's looking for a cheap torch he can use when they go camping and whatnot, since he's not using his Maglite anymore. He complains about the fact that it runs through batteries like crazy, and he's right. With D-cell batteries coming in at R50 for two, I can understand his worry, since his Maglite is the big-ass 6-cell model.

Now I know you get LED upgrade modules for Maglite, but I simply can't seem to find modules for the 6-cell Maglites. The only ones I can find range between around R70 and R300, and then it depends on the brand and whatever they decide the light output in Lumens might be. One brand says 60 Lumens and the next says 350 Lumens. Obviously brighter would be nicer, but it's not my main worry. What I want to know is if those 2~4 cell modules will be OK to use?

I want to get my dad the upgrade (I have already stolen the torch from his place in storage and he's not missing it one bit), since he loves that Maglite to bits. It was a gift to him from us as a family a long time ago and he's loved it ever since, but obviously the battery life and bulb lifespan is an issue for him. I also don't want to end up importing something from overseas that'll cost thousands because A. money and B. I can then just as well buy him something from O'Light or Fenix. That's also not the idea - the torch carries sentimental value to him and I want to keep that going.

So, thoughts/ideas or anyone with some advice? I've been thinking about building a 2-cell "insert" into the torch to remove two batteries from the equation to effectively turn it into a 4-cell light with 6-cell length, but I'm not sure I want to go that far yet. Always risk of non-reliability then.

User

Default Re: Maglite LED upgrades

Following this thread cos I'm looking for an LED upgrade for my Maglite, also has sentimental value. Have other newer brands but love my Maglite...

My post is not going to be of much help, but if you want to really upgrade a Maglite, check out the Malkoff website. Expensive as all hell though.

As to the available LED upgrades here, don’t expect the light to perform like it used to. The maglite’s claim to fame was the focusable beam. This was reliant on the reflector, but for that to work you need the light source a little way above the base (think the original lightbulb it has), the shine light down to catch the reflector.

The LED sits nearly flush with the base and gives about zero light downward, so your focusable beam becomes much less pronounced than before.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Oh, Toxxyc. You have to get an LED that’s suited for the amount of cells.

As they are connected in series you either run the risk of frying the LED due to too much voltage, or an LED that won’t even come on as its required forward voltage has not been met.

User

Hi Toxxyc, here's one that I've found. Not the brightest, but should have a good battery life.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yUmUv9cHOWM682-
    Hope the link works,
    All the best, Mike

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    My post is not going to be of much help, but if you want to really upgrade a Maglite, check out the Malkoff website. Expensive as all hell though.

As to the available LED upgrades here, don’t expect the light to perform like it used to. The maglite’s claim to fame was the focusable beam. This was reliant on the reflector, but for that to work you need the light source a little way above the base (think the original lightbulb it has), the shine light down to catch the reflector.

The LED sits nearly flush with the base and gives about zero light downward, so your focusable beam becomes much less pronounced than before.
    Correct-o, yes. My brother in law has a 3-cell Maglite with the LED upgrade and while the focus is limited, it's a much nicer torch with the LED than with the bulb. I just want my dad to be able to slide this long, heavy torch under his car seat when he goes camping so he has it available for use when he wants/needs it. Torch is immaculate condition, because after the 2nd set of batteries he realized what it costs to feed it so it kind of became a looker more than a user.

Oh, Toxxyc. You have to get an LED that’s suited for the amount of cells.

As they are connected in series you either run the risk of frying the LED due to too much voltage, or an LED that won’t even come on as its required forward voltage has not been met.
    Yeah that's what I'm worried about. The LED modules have regulators in them and I'm afraid that I'll pop the ones not specifically rated for 6 cells, which is why I'm considering maybe 3D printing 2 x D-cell blanks from plastic and making them conductive with a copper rod through the middle. It'll essentially turn the 6-cell Maglite into a 4-cell version since two cells will be just duds not contributing to the current. But that's last resort type stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    Hi Toxxyc, here's one that I've found. Not the brightest, but should have a good battery life.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yUmUv9cHOWM682-
    Hope the link works,
    All the best, Mike
    Oh awesome, thanks Sir! I have looked around for the modules but only found up to 4-cell variants! I Google that Lite Xpress brand and found a local link for them along with a 360-lumen version of those LED modules on their site here: http://www.liteoptec.co.za/showprod....product=ML0831

I've sent a query - thanks a mil Sir, really, this is what I was looking for! 360 Lumens is a little better than I hoped for and it's plenty of light for what he'll need/use it! :D

User

Only a pleasure, hope you come right.

Why not then rather adapt it to take 2 x 18650s?

6x D Cells at 1.5V each is 9V max.

2 x 18650s charged is 8.4V, will definitely still work.

Better runtime, no chance of leakage and rechargeable.

User

Why not then rather adapt it to take 2 x 18650s?

6x D Cells at 1.5V each is 9V max.

2 x 18650s charged is 8.4V, will definitely still work.

Better runtime, no chance of leakage and rechargeable.
    You's got one hella point there, you know. I just happen to have extra 18650s and the lower weight will make it a much nicer torch to handle.