Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Explosion at Somchem plant

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    As I recall reading rumors that they not so well off.
    Last I heard (around 2016) RDM had crossed the R2billion in revenue, with over R200million in profits.

User

As I recall reading rumors that they not so well off.
    Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    Last I heard (around 2016) RDM had crossed the R2billion in revenue, with over R200million in profits.
    There was a post some time ago on the forum where an official letter was released by their management stating that they are actually doing very well, which basically killed that rumor.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Rheinmetall
    ...effected area...
    ...has been cordon off...
    Not only the newspapers getting things wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    That would mean they are stable. Most companies strive 20%. 200mil over 2Bil is 10%. Which is ok profit but not great.

User

That would mean they are stable. Most companies strive 20%. 200mil over 2Bil is 10%. Which is ok profit but not great.
    Well impressive if you take into account they were running at 15% loss on R800million revenue with very little international contracts when RDM took over 10 years ago.

Also just did a bit of google-fu, 10% profit margin seems to be the standard for arms and defense industry at the moment.

Seemingly they are also still spending a lot on training of personal and modernizing the facilities (Wellington site was completely revamped last); overall I think we should not be too worried about their supply to the local market in the long run.

User

Perhaps it is just some accident that caused the explosion then? Investigations will most likely start very soon.

Regarding the supply to the local market - even if they do recover from this event, it might be a long while until they are able to provide a steady supply to the local market. I mean, with everything going as it did just before this explosion, there was already a huge demand and very little supply for the local market the past couple of months. Whatever the reason for this limited supply was, this explosion will most certainly just add further constraint to the supply.

User

Dear member,
    As is probably common knowledge by now, there was an explosion at the Rheinmetal Denel Munition depot in Somerset West yesterday (03-09-2018). NHSA would like to extend it most heartfelt condolences to those families who lost members in that explosion.
    It is reported that the explosion also destroyed (or partly destroyed) the facility where the propellant used for reloading, was manufactured.
    This means that reloaders will probably face “hardtimes” in the coming months, as comparable imported propellants, are more expensive than the locally produced well-known range of Somchem propellants used by the absolute majority of reloaders in this country.
    Members are reminded that the current Regulations on ownership of propellant, stipulate that one may hold 600 grams of propellant per licenced firearm, with a maximum of 2,4kg (2,400 grams) of propellant in total.
    According to SAPS propellant held by a private individual should be locked away in a safe.
    However, it is possible to buy propellant in larger quantity and store that at the dealer where you buy the propellant, if s/he will be willing to assist you in that manner. Then one can collect one can at a time from the dealer if one needs it for reloading.
    Please take note that it is a serious offence to keep more than the allowed 2,4 kg of propellant on your premises. If found guilty in this instance, one’s competency to own firearms will definitely come into contention (thus also all firearms licences one possesses).
    NHSA cannot be prescriptive in this instance, but we must warn against possible pitfalls our members might find themselves in when trying to obtain larger qualities of propellant because of the perceived non-availability of locally produced propellant for reloading for probably a considerable time.
    It is reported on good authority, that the limitation of 2,4 kg of propellant might be increased to 10 kg of propellant early next year, but then only for dedicated hunters and/or sports-persons. We shall inform members the moment we have more factual information on this aspect.

Kind Regards
    Natshoot Office

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk

User

Just for interest's sake - is it only the Somerset West plant that was manufacturing the propellant, or some of the other sites as well?

User

I was wondering the same thing...

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by wave.jaco View Post
    Just for interest's sake - is it only the Somerset West plant that was manufacturing the propellant, or some of the other sites as well?
    That is my understanding.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast