Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Solar powerbank

User

Default Solar powerbank

I've bought 2 things in the last 2 months that have been more than worthwhile:

1) I purchased a relatively cheap power source to jump-start my car if need be. I've used it on a jeep, I use in on my laptop when I need to work and can't get to power and I use it on my phone as well... What an outstanding little purchase this was. I will be spending a decent amount of money on the next one I buy, it's definitely worth while.

2) A solar power bank. I know it's largely impractical and takes forever to charge just by solar, but it's actually an assume bit of kit. I hang it outside my pack when I go cycling or hiking and it does its job. Also an elcheapo, but again, I'll be buying premium next time. Just a great thing to take along on short weekend hikes or a trip to the farm.

Sorry for the random post, just thought I would share my experiences!

Default Re: Solar powerbank

Ive got one of those solar jobs, bought off frontrunners website. And its great! I wouldnt use it for my sole charging system, but like you said for a weekend or a hike its great.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I've bought 2 things in the last 2 months that have been more than worthwhile:

1) I purchased a relatively cheap power source to jump-start my car if need be. I've used it on a jeep, I use in on my laptop when I need to work and can't get to power and I use it on my phone as well... What an outstanding little purchase this was. I will be spending a decent amount of money on the next one I buy, it's definitely worth while.

2) A solar power bank. I know it's largely impractical and takes forever to charge just by solar, but it's actually an assume bit of kit. I hang it outside my pack when I go cycling or hiking and it does its job. Also an elcheapo, but again, I'll be buying premium next time. Just a great thing to take along on short weekend hikes or a trip to the farm.

Sorry for the random post, just thought I would share my experiences!
    Post make and model

Not all are made equal

I bought a Solar power bank from Cape Union Mart.
    Actually says not to leave in car to charge due to heat.

Besides that if I leave at home in window for like a week. It charges maybe 20%.

User

We have the Red-E 8000 mAh single panel model for hiking weekends. Its big enough to charge any of our phones 2x.

The panel is rated at 200 mA, so under ideal conditions you are going to need over a week to recharge the bank from the solar panel. That's full direct sunshine and tracking the sun.

I did find that the power bank auto-shuts down when I try to recharge my Garmin Instinct GPS watch. It does not draw enough current charging to keep the bank from switching off. Luckily the power bank has two USB plugs so I plug in the phone and the watch simultaneously and all is good.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

User

I recently bought a Romoss 20000 mah 5v 2.1a power bank, and I must say I'm very impressed so far.
    I always had 2 or 3 small ones because I was too scared to invest propper money into a power bank till now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DanieKapp View Post
    I recently bought a Romoss 20000 mah 5v 2.1a power bank, and I must say I'm very impressed so far.
    I always had 2 or 3 small ones because I was too scared to invest propper money into a power bank till now.
    You won't go wrong with a Romoss.
    I have the 20000mah sense 6 or something, that has a digital percentage display.
    5 or 6 charges to my Samsung phone

I opted to go separate solar panel and seperate battery/powerbank. Main reason is that the battery pack in the sun stops charging and is veeeeery slow

The battery/powerbank I opted for is a RoMoss 20000 mAh and it is a gem https://www.takealot.com/romoss-simp...e/PLID54858495
    The solar panel is a Sunstream https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...50-solar-panel
    Saw RoMoss has just launched a 30 000 mAh powerbank ...next time

One thing I need is a 5V charger for 18650 batteries .......... something that delivers charge control like the Nitecore Intelli charger

User

Quote Originally Posted by African View Post

The battery/powerbank I opted for is a RoMoss 20000 mAh and it is a gem https://www.takealot.com/romoss-simp...e/PLID54858495
    The solar panel is a Sunstream https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...50-solar-panel
    Saw RoMoss has just launched a 30 000 mAh powerbank ...next time

One thing I need is a 5V charger for 18650 batteries .......... something that delivers charge control like the Nitecore Intelli charger
    What about the Liitokala single channel charger, they can be used as a charger or a power bank?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    What about the Liitokala single channel charger, they can be used as a charger or a power bank?

Hi Vaal

Thx for the heads up ..where can I see/find one? Reason I keep all modular is failure ...... if powerbank fails, just buy new powerbank ...if solar panel is outdated, buy just a new panel ...... don't like the multitool approach ..one thing does all :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast