Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 375 vs 404 Jeff

User

Default Re: 375 vs 404 Jeff

I think we will all agree that the 375 is the more popular choice. Cost and availability of rifle, ammo and components are the major considerations.

However, if you have ever used a well-built 404 rifle, you will likely agree that it is a pleasure to shoot. Percieved recoil is less than a 375 of similar weight. This is due to the lower chamber pressure and lower MV of the bullet. A lady friend and fellow hunter, who has shot a variety of large calibre rifles, her husband owns a 458 African and a 375, is looking for a 404 for her own use. She has tried them all and can shoot most 404's better than all the 375's she has tried, mine included.

If you do decide on the 404, bear in mind the extra effort required to find a rifle, ammo, cases, bullets, dies etc. It is only a viable option for a real gun nut, not an occasional user.

My 404 is my 'hartsgeweer'. It is a pleasure to shoot and as bushveld calibre you will struggle to convince me of anything better.

Henk at the herlaaitafel will sort you out with norma cases and the peregrines work well, thus not a big issue.

Had the rifle on a hunt last weekend in Botswana, and my friend who owns many rifles, used mine to shoot anything from impala to kudu. He is currently looking for one.

I have never heard of someone owning a 404 and buying a 375 afterwards. But personally know 2 people who has bought 404's after owning a 375.

Will both do what they are supposed to- yes! In my opinion, in the bush, the 404 with its 400gr will just outperform the 300gr from the 375.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Banned

With newer monlithic bullets the 375 has been boosted in the penetration stakes. Impala round nose bullets and other "solids" should not be found wanting in killing power, even on ellie. Accurate shot placement is however required. The 404 does however make the bigger hole on body shots and is also enhanced by mono bullets on head shots.

The availability of 375 rifles and the components is a big bonus.

If you happen to do proper homework then you will see that your bullet cost in most cases are very similar in both calibers.

My 404 is on around 980 shots now and I have used it for everything. Shot placement is still key even with a larger caliber.

Dies and brass is expensive to get going, but once you are sorted it will last long.

I do not see 100m as a limitation for the 404 at all. But it is more fun to use up close and personal.

If you want to shoot 300gr bullets then buy a 375.

400 and even 450gr is king in the 404!

User

A hunter/sport shooter/dedicated hunter all have more than one hunting rifle. The .375 H&H Magnum will be your first meduim transitional bore rifle...Using the 350 gn or 380 gn bullets will do all the work required for the course you want to do. Learning to shoot the .375 H&H Magnum is a beginning and will eventually give you a good base from to work when you later decided to buy a .40 cal hunting/stopper rifle in your line of work..I will always suggest the first heavier recoil rifle to buy if you only have a .30-06 or .308 is the .375 H&H Magnum...on the end of the day it is you who need to make the decision...always nice to have to make a choice when you are able to buy a brand new rifle...

User

.404 = romance
    .375 = the easy way out

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

I have very little experience with the larger bores, but I too dream and my bucket list includes

Bolt = 416 Rigby
    Double = 470 NE

For the OP I believe a 375 will makes the most (easiest) sense

User

Using the OP requirements and not wanting to start a new thread, how would the 404 Jeff vs 416 Rigby discussion go?

User

I am favour able to the 416 Rigby then...
    Can be very versatile
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Using the OP requirements and not wanting to start a new thread, how would the 404 Jeff vs 416 Rigby discussion go?
    Comparing the 2 with bullets of the same weight, let's say 400gn, the biggest difference is in possible MV, case capacity and COL. The 416 is capable of higher velocities at the cost of more recoil and a larger action. So the 416 will be slightly more capable, while the 404 will be softer on the shoulder. It is (subjectively) softer shooting than a 375, which is why many like it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast