Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 1301 Comp Ammo+Info

Whilst waiting for my application to run it's course, I would like to hear from fellow Beretta 1301 Comp owners what ammo they use on the gun? Is it fussy as to what you feed it? If yes then what should I get and what should I stay away from?

Also, any tips in general on the fun would also be appreciated. TIA

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: 1301 Comp Ammo+Info

I can't speak for the Comp, but my 1301 Tactical (gen 1) has so far not had any issues with any of the ammo I've put through it.

I've burnt through a case of Saga 28gr 7.5's with it already and cannot report any ammo-related issues. Have also shot out some S&B bird and buck shot too.

Oddly, I haven't yet put a slug through it. Guess I'm worried about my shoulder....

The whole "fatal flaw" with the bolt release on the Gen 1's is a thing. I've managed to put the gun out of action more than once during Steel Challenge by simply pressing the lever at the wrong time. I've got a thread about it here somewhere.

There is, of course, an aftermarket latch that you can buy from Rocksteady Gear that solves the problem.

It runs and it runs very well. No complaints other than the latch; but that's enough of an issue to relegate it to back-of-the-safe.

User

I run 24g and 28g regularly without any issues.

It feeds and shoots all the brands that I have tried and different brands of buck and slugs. I can honestly not name any ammo that I tried that did not work in the gun. That said it would be prudent to check your own gun's operation with the ammo you can buy or that may be available at any time.

The bolt latch design which allows for the bolt to be released and for the shells in the tube to be released easily when unloading is controversial. I would not call it a "fatal flaw" but acknowledge that there are users that see it that way and then it is fixable for the individual user.

I have never had an unintended shell release with the std paddle/latch setup. If you practice under pressure bolt release it will be fine. You will also only get into the unintended shell release issue if you shoot your gun dry and manipulate the paddle incorrectly.

If you do not like or cannot get used to the dual functionality it is easy to remedy by making the shell release function inoperable. Beretta has a shroud insert that addresses the issue. Aridus Industries has a paddle and shroud that will mitigate the issue. The shells can then be released by manipulating the latch "claw" part inside the receiver to release shells from the tube.

Beretta addressed this issue in the Gen2 due to complaints received.

There is a huge and comprehensive thread on Pistol-Forum.com about all things and all issues 1301 Gen and Gen2 that was started in 2013 and still runs https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-1301-Tactical

There is another possible issue although not prevalent. This can be troubleshooted imo by putting some epoxy in the hollow part of the plastic cup or by replacing the charging handle with an aftermarket metal charging handle:

Thanks gents. How do you know if it's a Gen 1 or Gen 2? Is there any telltale signs? This latch, is it that switch that raises the shell lifter so that the bolt can be held open?

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaShooter_86 View Post
    Thanks gents. How do you know if it's a Gen 1 or Gen 2? Is there any telltale signs? This latch, is it that switch that raises the shell lifter so that the bolt can be held open?

No the latch is the bolt and shell release system.

User

I think it is more about the difference between the 1301 Comp and the 1301 Comp Pro.

Practically the Pro has the larger latch paddle or bolt release paddle, the competition lifter that stays in the raised position with the bolt closed to enhance loading, an opened loading port, Kick-Off stock etc.

User

This is the best explanation I have found about the so-called "fatal flaw" which is imo a misnomer iro the 1301:

"Two shells on the lifter of a Remington 870 is a show-stopper. It was possible for the 870 to back two shells out of the magazine tube in a manner that would require disassembling the shotgun to remedy. That's why Remington introduced the updated lifter to limit how far back the shells could go so that the stoppage could be fixed if it happened in the field.

That's where the "fatal flaw" concept comes from.

It's never been truly "fatal" on the 1301 because you can very easily remedy the problem by shoving the shell that's still partially in the magazine tube back into the magazine tube quickly and easily. You can't do that with the 870 nearly as easily because the 870 has two shell stops and shells end up jammed between them.

On the Gen1 1301's the concern was that bumping the rear of the bolt release would move the shell stop out of the way and release shells onto the lifter. It was fairly easy to bump that rear section unintentionally. Tau and Aridus came up with collars that stopped that from happening and they solved the problem nicely.

The Gen2 release doesn't have anything to hit there, which also solves that problem. Deliberately pulling up on the lever will move the shell stop attached to it...but that action is a hell of a lot less likely than pressure applied to the rear of the bolt release on the Gen1 1301. That's why nobody who has a Gen2 gun is actually worried about it.

I've seen people induce two shells on the lifter on the range, but it's never involved the bolt release. It's been when they failed to insert the last shell in the magazine tube past the shell stop and then they hit the shell release button without realizing there was already one on the lifter.

So yes, it's possible if you perform the specific action demonstrated in the video...which is the only way I've ever seen it induced. Deliberately, by doing shit you wouldn't be doing unless you were trying to cause the problem.

It is extremely unlikely.

It's not a "fatal" flaw on the 1301.

...and be skeptical of people who publish video of themselves shooting steel with shotguns at that kind of range. It's fucking dangerous to shoot steel that close with a gauge."

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ctical/page607

Thanks for info guys. It's really helpful!

User

I've shot various brands of ammo ranging from 24gr to 28gr bird to buck to slugs and haven't had any issues whatsoever with ammo.
    Same goes for the bolt/mag tube release. I haven't had any issues there either. I do have the little "stopper thingy" that someone 3D printed for me, but I've never fitted it. I use that button to empty the tube and it works for me.

I fitted the Pro lifter. The new lifter and cutting open the loading port makes reloading so much easier. I have the Tony Systems oversized bolt handle and tube clamp. Some other nice extras is the Magload option 3 loader and shotsaver. I also have a +7 mag tube on mine. With most birdshot I can load 13 rounds with ease. I tried the Tony +8 tube, but that just sticks out too far for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    I've shot various brands of ammo ranging from 24gr to 28gr bird to buck to slugs and haven't had any issues whatsoever with ammo. Same goes for the bolt/mag tube release. I haven't had any issues there either. I do have the little "stopper thingy" that some 3D printed, but I've never fitted it. I use that button to empty the tube and it works for me. I fitted the Pro lifter. That makes reloading so much easier.
    What does the pro lifter do? Did you have the loading port opened up too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast