Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: EDC while hiking

If you hike with a pack that has PALS webbing on the hip belt there are various MOLLE type holsters ranging from Alien Gear Shapeshift "Molle" Holster to various ballistic nylon types with the traditional MOLLE strap and stud attachment. No experience with the quality of the AG item but it can apparently be transitioned from the PALS/ MOLLE carry to normal IWB etc rapidly.

For our "non permissive" conditions something like the Tactical Tailor Lunar Concealed Carry Pouch would probably be a best fit not really looking like a holster at all but rather a regular low profile pouch with zip opening.

User

Thank guys, some good advice as always. I will try the cheapest option first and do some trial 'hikes' with normal IWB, OWB and AIWB carry. I may also explore the off-body carry options, but I will first do some drills to see how accessible the FA would be. Has anyone tried a chest / shoulder holster (not belly band / spandex type)? Does the holster straps interfere with the backpack / backpack straps?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Duimpie View Post
    Has anyone tried a chest / shoulder holster (not belly band / spandex type)? Does the holster straps interfere with the backpack / backpack straps?
    I've never tried it, but seen enough shoulder holsters to be able to figure the position thereof against a backpack.
    I reckon it's going to be pretty uncomfortable, and sweaty, and chances are it will interfere with your backpack's straps - you've got double the amount of straps now. Also, your backpack strap may be in the same line as your pistol then, which won't work great either.

Quote Originally Posted by Duimpie View Post
    Thank guys, some good advice as always. I will try the cheapest option first and do some trial 'hikes' with normal IWB, OWB and AIWB carry. I may also explore the off-body carry options, but I will first do some drills to see how accessible the FA would be. Has anyone tried a chest / shoulder holster (not belly band / spandex type)? Does the holster straps interfere with the backpack / backpack straps?
    A should holster would be impractical, it would keep colliding with the backpack, be uncomfortable and difficult to draw from concealment. A chest rig the is in the center of the chest or slightly off center would make the most sense. Good concealment won't be easy, but it's better than not carrying if the other options don't work for you.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

You can try the runner's kit from hill people gear. Works quite well because you have it in front of you and you can put it over clothes or MX gear. It is not as fast draw as they make it out because the bag is tight unless you have a very small firearm. I use it for mountain biking and moto X.

Disadvantage is that it screams gun to me, wish they would make it less tactical looking.

Any know what the Maglastic is like to run with (as opposed to hiking) for carrying cellphone and say G43? Does it sit securely enough around your waist?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Any know what the Maglastic is like to run with (as opposed to hiking) for carrying cellphone and say G43? Does it sit securely enough around your waist?
    Make sure you have some form of retention or strap over the firearm for the belly band. If you are running hard enough the bouncing can cause the gun to come flying out

Thanks pdh

User

I've experienced my vektor sp1 falling out of the shoulder holster, main reason being that the gun's weight is only retained by the thumb-break.

Need a shoulder holster that fits barrel down

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast