Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tragic loss

User

Default Re: Tragic loss

Quote Originally Posted by tracker View Post
    I have witnessed a hunter/field trailer arrive at a venue, open his trailer and three of his dog had suffocated. Somewhere along the route the vent closed. He had traversed from the Free State to Dullstroom .That day several grown men cried.
    This happened to my dad, if I recall he lost one or 2 dogs. It is always devastating to lose a dog, more so in a preventable accident.

User

Condolences to your friend, very sad.

User

Thank you for everyone's contributions and condolences.

Today, there was an article about snakes on News 24 https://www.news24.com/Green/News/there ... s-20181017 . One of the snake experts quoted in the article (Mr Arno Naude') said the following:

" ... not only people are at risk. Dogs often encounter snakes and get bitten. The rinkhals poses an enormous threat to dogs as they usually confront the reptile and then get bitten. Rinkhalses are very toxic to dogs, not so much to humans, but it kills dogs within minutes"

Interesting.

User

Not to take away from the seriousness of the situation, but the expert, Mr Arno Naude should learn the difference between venomous and toxic.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Dogs and snakebites are not always showing normal signs and outcomes. Staying on a farm, a lot of snakes, a lot of dogs... you get the idea.

So what have I seen over the years:

A pufadder is a bastard for dogs. It is strong, fast and not easily killed. When bitten, dogs tend to survive, but a lot of swelling and bruising occurs. I had some pufadder bitten dogs put down. The pain must be real bad.

Black Mambas: The dogs here that was bitten by those, well, some of them don't even make the house again. Mamba bites on dogs are very rare this side. Mambas are skittish and rather get going than fighting a dog.

Moz spitting Cobras: They have never bitten one of my dogs, or the dogs just don't show any symptoms? SPitting in the eyes do occur, but they heal. Dogs easily kill them, especially Jack Russels working in a pair. They nail them real quickly.

Snouted Cobras: They don't back down easily. Are normally in a corner or with a barrier to their backs so that they cannot be tackcled from behind. Fight a dog aggressively. Multiple strikes occur during battle. Dogs normally die from their bites, especially because the strike is mostly close to the brain I think. I have also had a Bull Mastiff x Bull Terrier once that I watched being striked 3 times by a snouted cobra, he bled a bit at the entrance points, he never showed any symptoms.

Rinkhals: We don't have them here.

Python: They like to eat Duchhounds. (Worshonde.) Had a python eating a few. He came into the yard various evenings and snatched them. A huge 4,6 m Python. We relocated him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Thank you for everyone's contributions and condolences.

" ... not only people are at risk. Dogs often encounter snakes and get bitten. The rinkhals poses an enormous threat to dogs as they usually confront the reptile and then get bitten. Rinkhalses are very toxic to dogs, not so much to humans, but it kills dogs within minutes"

Interesting.
    That would explain the (to me inexplicable) fast death of the dog, after a bite by a rinkhals that is not normally known as very toxic to humans.

Which effective training methods are available to teach dogs to avoid snakes ?

User

Dimitri, please give my condolences to your friend, it must have been a truly heartbreaking experience for him. I hope he soon finds a new bundle of joy to fill the void.

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Which effective training methods are available to teach dogs to avoid snakes ?
    For me the solution with my GSP's has simply been to be 100% steady on point, and thus far it has worked, although a puffy hissing at you when you kick the tuft of grass, instead of a frankie taking to the air, gets the heart pumping.

The labs I simply enforced the no command, and both learned to keep their distance, but both kept moving from side to side, which did elicit a few strikes, they were always well out of range and never got hit.

I have heard of trainers using intense pain to teach dogs to avoid snakes on sight, smell and sound.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by johannvdg View Post
    Dimitri, please give my condolences to your friend, it must have been a truly heartbreaking experience for him. I hope he soon finds a new bundle of joy to fill the void.

For me the solution with my GSP's has simply been to be 100% steady on point, and thus far it has worked, although a puffy hissing at you when you kick the tuft of grass, instead of a frankie taking to the air, gets the heart pumping.

The labs I simply enforced the no command, and both learned to keep their distance, but both kept moving from side to side, which did elicit a few strikes, they were always well out of range and never got hit.

I have heard of trainers using intense pain to teach dogs to avoid snakes on sight, smell and sound.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the reply Johan. My Springer Spaniel worries me more than my Labrador because
    of his penchant for going after quarry in thick bush. In open areas his nose is to the ground constantly.
    Very determined and reckless little bugger. My Labrador is more cautious but I also worry about him in the thick
    reeds and on river banks. This whole area is thick with puff adders.

User

Quote Originally Posted by johannvdg View Post

Thank you Johann. I passed on everyone's condolences to my friend. He appreciates it.

He will be getting a new pup in January. Pups will be born later this month. Same mother and father as his last pup. He can't wait.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast