Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Peregrine VRG 3 BushMaster 700 grain bullet in 577NE on cape buffalo.

Custom Single shot, break open switch barrel. 577NE and 50-110 Win.

User

Default Re: Peregrine VRG 3 BushMaster 700 grain bullet in 577NE on cape buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Abrum View Post
    Custom Single shot, break open switch barrel. 577NE and 50-110 Win.
    Sounds cool. Post a pic if you can. Congrats on the buffalo.

Do you shoot cast bullets from the .50-110?

TStone, No I don't, but they would be excellent. I have killed cape buffalo with cast bullets in the 577NE. Cast bullets are very under rated. As you probably know, with the right mix. and hardness you can make them do anything.

Sorry, I don't know how to post photos. I will send you a photo to your personal email if you would be so kind and post it. The rifle is a H&R 10 ga. shotgun that was rebarreled and restocked. You could do the same with your Baikal shotgun (spelling.) So, instead if spending $14,000 CAD for a big bore I spent $1,400. It is very satisfying to hunt with a singleshot.

User

Some pics of Abrum's rifle.

Abrum with the rifle with .50-110 barrel.

.577 and buffalo.

.50-110.

TStone, Good job! Thanks for posting them. Abrum

User

That looks like a heavy stick to carry around Abrum!

Nice buff!

Maroelas, That's exactly the problem with it! The 577 weighs nearly 12 pounds and the 50-110 weighs 11 pounds. Plus I am old as dirt! The hunting was in mopani bush that was very dry and the ground was covered with dry noisy leaves that were whipped into serpentine rows by the wind. We could usually see in every direction for at least 100 yds. So could the buffalo. We stalked herds for two days in the shifting wind without getting a shot. I was very tired and my wife's arthritic knees were giving her hell. I have always been far too proud of a hunter to even consider using a hide to hunt dangerous game out of but on the night of the second day I said to Pieter Kriel, our excellent PH. "Tell me again about that hide, please."
    For the next two days we hunted from the hide and it sure was fun. Very exciting to see the animals and birds come to the watering hole. When the buffalo herds came in, we could take enough time to pick out a good old worn out cow and I could get a nice shoulder shot at 30-40 yds. It was different and I really liked it. Also it was perfect for me as one of the goals of the hunt was to test some fancy bullets for an article. The Hide/water hole layout provided a fair testing ground. At my age it was a real blessing. Don't tell anyone but I could get used to using a hide for some of my buffalo hunting. Abrum

Maroelas, I just checked the weights of the rifle again. I was one pound light. The 577 is 13 lbs and the 50-110 is 12 lbs.

Moroelas, Most people see the 500 S&W as a pistol only cartridge so they use pistol powders for it.
    I found out that I can load a 500 S&W Winchester Mag. 410 grain Cutting Edge Raptor bullet (Same as used above) to 2,100 fps in a 20 inch barrel, TC Encore, using the right powder. That is 160 fps faster than the 500-110 I loaded above. The whole rig with scope will weigh about 8 lbs. That will be my buffalo gun for next rip. The powder will be Hodgdon CFE BLK . It's sort of a fast rifle powder. I will switch the barrel with a 24 inch 7-08 for my grandson on plains game.

My grandson is 9 years old this year and hunted a blesbok and a wildebeest with a break open single shot 30-30 Win. His father, my son, hunted a lovely Sable as well. We had three generations of us hunting in the bush veld and my wife "Grandma" doing the videoing. It was a real blessing. Cheers, Abrum.

User

Excellent Abrum! It is special to hunt with your family! Can't wait for the next trip report!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2