Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Peregrine VRG 3 BushMaster 700 grain bullet in 577NE on cape buffalo.

Hello Gunsite Friends,

I just got back from a 7 weeks in Africa with my family. My wife and I spent one of those weeks, cape buffalo hunting in the Lowveld. I killed 3 buffalo with CEB Raptor bullets and 1 buffalo with a 700 gr. Peregrine BushMaster bullet in my .577NE. the full bullet report will appear in The African Hunting Gazette and I will post it here.

The CEB Raptors are awesome buffalo killers, but for now, I just want to tell you how impressive that Peregrine BushBuster bullet is.

I hit an old buffalo in the middle of the shoulder with one of the 700 gr., 577 NE BushBuster bullets and instead of the common reaction of turning and running, it was completely transfixed like it had been electrocuted. It tried to take a step and it fell on it's chin. It's shoulder was shattered. The bullet's penetration was deep and straight to the far side leaving an open wound channel that we easily slid a stick through.

The range was about 35 meters and the muzzle velocity was only 1,700 fps. The Peregrin folks told me that the bullet is designed to work/expand well at 2,000 fps or more. At just 1,700 fps this bullet still expanded to about .700 inch. For me that is a perfect balance of expansion and penetration. The retained weight was 672. grains, not including the steel insert that is installed in the nose to initiate expansion. That is excellent weight retention, considering that it smashed the buffalo's shoulder. It goes without saying that the more weight retention, the more penetration.
    The Two PH's were very impressed.

Thanks to Peregrine Bullets,

Brian

User

Default Re: Peregrine VRG 3 BushMaster 700 grain bullet in 577NE on cape buffalo.

Wow. I'd expect anything shot with a 577NE at 30m to drop dead on the spot

User

Default Re: Peregrine VRG 3 BushMaster 700 grain bullet in 577NE on cape buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    Wow. I'd expect anything shot with a 577NE at 30m to drop dead on the spot
    To put it into perspective for you, a buffalo bull getting hit by a 700gr bullet at 1700fps is kinda like a 70kg human getting hit by a 70gr bullet at 1700fps. People tend to vastly over estimate the power of big bores, even the .50 Browning with an fmj is not the viciously destructive device people envision it to be.

Well done on your buffaloes sir! Surely a privilege!

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    To put it into perspective for you, a buffalo bull getting hit by a 700gr bullet at 1700fps is kinda like a 70kg human getting hit by a 70gr bullet at 1700fps. People tend to vastly over estimate the power of big bores, even the .50 Browning with an fmj is not the viciously destructive device people envision it to be.
    I've said it many times, don't be too surprised when a little whily antelope or pig takes a shot from your elephant gun and decides to run away! It happens!

User

Abrum, any videos of this year's hunt?

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Clearly we should be using more gun then

Hello, Moroelas, Good to hear from you! Are you well?
    I am working on the video and I will include the one spectacular kill shot. I will post here when the video is on YouTube.
    Also the story of this hunt will be in The African Hunting Gazette in 2019. I may call it, "Use Good Bullets for Buffalo and Listen to the Ox Pecker." I will keep you posted.

Thanks for saying hello, Abrum.

DWB, Thanks for your Kind words. It really was a privilege. My wife and I were on the hunt together. She did the videoing. We were with an Excellent PH, Pieter Kriel of Mkulu Safaris.
    We are old timers, 73 and 72 years. We sure love South Africa.

The energy factor is important of course. However, bullet placement and the design and construction of the bullet are variables that the hunter can control. That is where these specialty bullets like Peregrine BushMaster, Cutting Edge Bullets, etc. make such a significant difference in wound channel, tissue damage, deep and straight penetration through bone and meat. I am one person who underestimated the killing power of a big bore.

User

What rifle are you using?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast