Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Vervet Monkeys

User

Default Re: Vervet Monkeys

Phone KZN Parks offices at Queen Elizabeth Park and ask them - best to get it from the horse's mouth

User

Honestly I am not looking for myself, rather s going there is something easily available that I can point to as I have heard it mentioned a lot that these animals are ate protected and you will go to jail if you kill one.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    Honestly I am not looking for myself, rather s going there is something easily available that I can point to as I have heard it mentioned a lot that these animals are ate protected and you will go to jail if you kill one.

I have a copy of the 2015 KZN hunting proclamations, only the Samango monkey is listed.
    TOPS act also only mentions the Samango.

User

think the issue with our residential areas is that we have some serious sicko's running around

I'm all for vermin control on working farms etc, but a recent case a old ballie was poisoning the vervets with anti-freeze and round up in food he left out for them

theres killing and then there is unnecessary pain inflicted/prolonged death

thats how the bunny huggers got huge support here, that and they are now pushing for a ban on pellet guns (yes i know) as they have been picking up babies with pellets lodged in their brains etc

User

Not exactly what you're after but does this help: https://www.sanbi.org/animal-of-the-week/vervet-monkey/

"Vervet monkeys are classified as Lower Risk/Least Concern by the IUCN due to their wide range."

User

Oh wow, first person I told this to just replied with "it's the municipalities law"

Can't win with some people.

Understood AR and I realise there is not a formal list of what not protected. That said I am sure there is a list of what is protected and if vervets are not on that it stands to treason that they are not protected. I am looking for such a list on something like kzn wildlifes website.

Here is the latest KZN hunting gazette. No mention of vervets.

http://www.borderhunting.co.za/image...for_2018_2.pdf

User

Personally I'm not sure about the legalities, but I have no issues with clearing vervet monkeys. At one of my annual Karoo hunting spots, vervet monkeys have completely taken over. Their numbers have shot through the roof and they've just about decimated the local bird life. Eggs from nesting birds seems to be a particular favourite snack.

I'm not the kind of hunter that like to shoots anything that moves.. But vervet monkeys is fair game!

Sure, let them "live in peace" in areas where they belong and in numbers that doesn't wrack other wild life. But from what I've seen they can very destructive and very invasive!

User

At some of the game lodges where we work the vervets are ridiculous. The general view is that one musn't shoot the biggest /leader - that causes total .confusion
    in the pack and they go balistic. Supposedly take. out the younger ones and they will move on as their instint is to protect their younge type action the scramble.. A few lodges have whacked some. with caties and now, if you just make catie moves, they scramble..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    At some of the game lodges where we work the vervets are ridiculous. The general view is that one musn't shoot the biggest /leader - that causes total .confusion
    in the pack and they go balistic. Supposedly take. out the younger ones and they will move on as their instint is to protect their younge type action the scramble.. A few lodges have whacked some. with caties and now, if you just make catie moves, they scramble..
    In the Kruger they're such a nuisance, they took food from my mother's hands when we had breakfast at a stop. So bad that when I charged the apparent leader of the troop to chase her away from my mom and wife, with my jacket waving, this thing was so cocky she came at me. The only thing that worked was an obvious Kruger-regular - he pulled out a kettie and just lifted it and the troop scattered.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast