Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Get Home Bag/EDC Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Feminine hygiene products is a good one to include. Apparently tampons can be stuck into wounds to slow/stop bleeding. Pads can be used a compress.

I'll never forget the day my 3 year old nephew bumped his head against a sharp table corner and the nearest hospital 40 km away - he was bleeding all over the place - my aunt stuck a maxi pad on his head. We still laugh about that one.
    Valid point on the feminine hygiene products to be included for hygienic purposes but any paramedic worth his salt will tell you to never ever use a tampon for a serious traumatic wound like a bullet wound. Rather use proper gauze and wound pack or a tourniquet if it's a limb.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Feminine hygiene products is a good one to include. Apparently tampons can be stuck into wounds to slow/stop bleeding. Pads can be used a compress.
    This handy pearl of wisdom goes in the draw between "just the sound of racking the shotgun will scare the crooks away" and "my oupa's CZ75 has shot over 120 000 rounds without even one spring change".

The aforementioned products are designed to draw blood away, in effect promoting blood loss. The total opposite of what we're after in the scenario of tending to gunshots, stab wounds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    Contents for my specific needs:Small Flashlight. Ball penBic LighterMulti toolBicycle SpannerKnifePack of cigarettes (I don't smoke)Power bank and cable. 2 x 500 ml Bottled waterSnacks Spare batteries ( AAA, AA, 9v & CR2032)NotepadDry towel tissueHand sanitiserSki ropeDuct tapeFlat screwdriver/Philips screw driver. CompassFire starterPonchoBuffMechanix glovesOld Blackberry cell phone with sim and airtime. 3 pairs of thick sterile glovesComprehensive but portable IFAKCertified copies of Driver's licence, Medical aid card, I D, Birth certificate of my son and FA-licences of all my Handguns.
    Treeman's recent post made me to revive this thread. Three years down the line I have improved my own in several ways. U upgraded to a better made Bag. Items I have added over the time include:Baofeng two-way radios. I imported short, long range aerials for the pair. SA Road atlas and city Maps of nearby towns. Two additional light sources. A Flashlight/lamp with magnetic foot, and a small LED light which can runs from the Powerbank. Glowsticks. Three N95 masks instead of one.Sunscreen and Hat. I changed the pack of smokes for 2 x10 Packs Peter Stuyvesant. 200 ml Whiskey [Hidden between PPE thingies] Collapsible 5 liter storage. Approved for H20, not sure about Fuel... Doubt it. Pair of Aqua-tekkies. Pair of socks.And a few other things I can't recall ATM. What I still need:ETREX Better knife and Multi tool. Quality Headlamp.This bag has really helped me a few times now. I even take it with when doing pest control at night. Although the contents may sound 'heavy' the bag is still carry-friendly and not too heavy.

I've added one of those cable saws to cut wood, and a solar charged power bank/ hanging light...

Quote Originally Posted by Trevorm View Post
    I've added one of those cable saws to cut wood, and a solar charged power bank/ hanging light...
    Cool. Where did you buy the cable saw?

User

Coghlans make one that is sold at outdoor warehouse for about R100

The Coghlans products i've used so far have been good quality

Thanks. Because I was not keen on a Whish-special.

User

Good food source you can also pack is Pemmican.
    Very high calorific value and if made right keeps for years.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4