Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Baboons at bushpig feerder.

How do I protect my feeder and ligt at bushpig feeding spot.

Any advice would be helpful

User

Default Re: Baboons at bushpig feerder.

There is no effective way that i know of that allows access to pigs but not baboons.
    We went through the same hassles and took the following steps: While not completely solving the problem,it certainly helped to the extent where the bait sites were still huntable.
    .Control baboons as best as possible in the immediate area..make them unwelcome.
    .Bait for pigs with something unattractive to baboons such as carcasses. big carcasses such as cows or the pigs drag them away into the bush.
    .If you have an automated feeder that throws,for eg.,mielies at a predetermined time then place it in an inverted 44 gallon drum,open high enough at the bottom to allow pigs to feed.Anchor drum securely to pre

User

prevent the baboons from tipping it over.
    .A brightly coloured scarecrow placed in a nearby tree will keep them away for a few days and not worry the pigs at night.
    .We suspend the light on a cable between 2 poles or trees.

This might not be the best option as I dont know how it will effect the pigs but here goes. We planted a variety of fruit and veggies including spinach, tomatoes, baby marrow, bananas etc and as soon as they started to form, vervet monkeys would swarm the crops and destroy them. We tried everything from scaring them off to shooting them but they would just keep coming back. We have a storage room close by to the crops with electricity and put a radio tuned to a random radio station and put the volume up. It has now been over 2 months and the numbers of vervets have dropped drastically.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Costly but electrifying the feeder is a possibility. Solar, battery, energiser etc...

Banned

In my experience i have found that a feeder is a very expensive exercise. We install a trail-cam at the feeding site and it is amazing to see the variety of animals feeding of it. In my opinion an animal carcass is the better( least expensive) feeding option. A twelve volt portable fence energizer with a couple of electric strands should do the trick. You get a cheap system that people use around their flower and veggie gardens to keep the dogs out.

Banned

Something like this!

User

Thanks for the feedback. After I placed a cow carcass the baboons disappeared. Pigs arrived with in a week after the carcass was placed.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Banned

Great. Nice pictures. If I look at the time on the photo it must have been after sun-up?

User

Yes early morning.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast