Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: GOSA GIRLS ON FIRE CAMAIGN 2019

I tend to agree with Wesley. The whole concept of Girls on fire is “we are every woman” except we aren’t, not according to our posters anyway.
    Every woman is the lady at the next desk, the mom in Spar, your domestic, the chick you check out at the gym, the sports shooter and so on.
    Posters should feature the executive in her pencil skirt and heels, possibly with a follow on picture with a peek of something carried subtly and not in your face because we don’t care about public perception and we are loud and proud.
    I’m pro gun, I believe people should own and carry guns, I do NOT advertise that I carry etc until I know my audience better. And it works, because when they do find out then suddenly I’m not the girl with a gun, I’m BackStop, you know, that lady from jits/work etc and suddenly the concept is normal and acceptable.
    I have shown the Girls on Fire campaign posters to non gun ladies, especially in the non firearm community, the feedback is basically “but I’m not like that, that doesn’t represent me or what I would ever want to be”
    So yeah, maybe something more relatable to the people we are trying to convert is the way to go?
    And no, I am not a FUDD, and to imply so is just rude and belittling

Quote Originally Posted by BackStop View Post
    I tend to agree with Wesley. The whole concept of Girls on fire is “we are every woman” except we aren’t, not according to our posters anyway.
    Every woman is the lady at the next desk, the mom in Spar, your domestic, the chick you check out at the gym, the sports shooter and so on.
    Posters should feature the executive in her pencil skirt and heels, possibly with a follow on picture with a peek of something carried subtly and not in your face because we don’t care about public perception and we are loud and proud.
    I’m pro gun, I believe people should own and carry guns, I do NOT advertise that I carry etc until I know my audience better. And it works, because when they do find out then suddenly I’m not the girl with a gun, I’m BackStop, you know, that lady from jits/work etc and suddenly the concept is normal and acceptable.
    I have shown the Girls on Fire campaign posters to non gun ladies, especially in the non firearm community, the feedback is basically “but I’m not like that, that doesn’t represent me or what I would ever want to be”
    So yeah, maybe something more relatable to the people we are trying to convert is the way to go?
    +1

User

Just remember the concept itself is exactly what you described, but also exactly what you did not describe as well.

The “I am every woman” thing can mean the ordinary person that goes unnoticed, or the woman putting herself out there as a poster for a specific reason. The woman doing shopping next to me, with me not having any clue if she carries or not, she is “every woman” yes, but she does not represent anything, she does not influence anybody in any way.

Making a poster where guns are displayed forces participation, or let met rather say comments or debate. If you allow woman to be woman, meaning anything they want to be, the “I am every woman” concept, then you need THEM to normalize the image. You need woman to do exactly what is being criticized here, they need to show they are normal people that like firearms.

What is being cautioned against here, ironically, is the very result of that very same process, people afraid of doing something because they have been taught to be afraid. This whole thing of being afraid of what you are, about what you believe and stand for, this have absolutely gotten us nowhere in the past, and it will do nothing now.

So I say let’s give this a try now, the concept being “I am a normal woman”, AND I love my guns, I don’t hide them until we are in a more appropriate place to discuss the topic. The government absolutely love the quiet approach, let people keep their beliefs to themselves and hide it away while they just make more laws of which they need to be secretive about.

The first rule for any government on how to control their people is always to make them believe some things are wrong, and some things are right. This leads to a place where they don’t need to lift a finger after that, because just like in this scenario, here on gunsite, you will get the population to police each other.

Banned

I get what you’re saying and I get the concept. Then you need a mix and match poster, throw in the sports shooters and the out there images BUT you need to appeal to the woman who doesn’t identify with what is being portrayed as female firearms owners currently.
    I don’t hide the fact that I am pro gun, but I also don’t advertise that I carry, not because I’m ashamed but because I don’t want all and sundry blabbing to everyone that’ll listen that I have a gun. It’s just stupid from a defensive point of view.
    My point with that was just that people have a preconceived notion of what a female firearm owner is and to them it’s not “every woman”
    Sadly female firearms enthusiasts are portrayed as being a little bit tough and rough round the edges and a lot of women don’t and don’t want to identify with that image (I’m not saying any of our ladies are rough round the edges, it’s the cliched image that we need to get away from)
    There the video going viral of the lady in the pencil skirt, blouse and heels who is concealing everything and the kitchen sink... why? Because it challenges all our preconceived notions. I am a gun girl, I’m currently in heels, skinny jeans and smart top, why am I not represented in the campaign?
    I just think normalizing the image of women with firearms is a far more productive way to go

User

Philosophical and political debates aside this is a marketing campaign, with promotion as its core purpose. Like every good campaign, there is a target audience with whom you hope to resonate with and improve/increase brand equity. A different target audience would require a different campaign with different nuances etc. There is no right or wrong, there is only peoples(specifically your target audiences) perception or reaction on the scale of hate, indifference and love.

The only question is, how is your audience reacting? Are they reacting how you had hoped? If not then tweak your campaign. If they are, stick to your guns, excuse the pun. Feedback is good, focus groups are good.

User

I get what you’re saying and I get the concept. Then you need a mix and match poster, throw in the sports shooters and the out there images BUT you need to appeal to the woman who doesn’t identify with what is being portrayed as female firearms owners currently.
    I don’t hide the fact that I am pro gun, but I also don’t advertise that I carry, not because I’m ashamed but because I don’t want all and sundry blabbing to everyone that’ll listen that I have a gun. It’s just stupid from a defensive point of view.
    My point with that was just that people have a preconceived notion of what a female firearm owner is and to them it’s not “every woman”
    Sadly female firearms enthusiasts are portrayed as being a little bit tough and rough round the edges and a lot of women don’t and don’t want to identify with that image (I’m not saying any of our ladies are rough round the edges, it’s the cliched image that we need to get away from)
    There the video going viral of the lady in the pencil skirt, blouse and heels who is concealing everything and the kitchen sink... why? Because it challenges all our preconceived notions. I am a gun girl, I’m currently in heels, skinny jeans and smart top, why am I not represented in the campaign?
    I just think normalizing the image of women with firearms is a far more productive way to go
    I look forward to seeing your submition when the GOF Memes and Cameos pop up again.

PS
    The notion of female firearm owners is this country is that you don't exist.... any view or pic or meme is a shock no matter how subtle.

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

I read everyone's comment with great interest. Debate is good. As I have said on another forum this is one of the first of many "campaign photos" The message is that "I am every woman", mother, daughter, grandmother, colleague and that includes sport-shooters. If it offends some people that is fine, we are not going to hide in the shadows, definitely not in the shadows of a patriarchal society or to a government that wants to disarm us (both for self defense as well as as sport shooters). Over the next couple of months we will be posting several new campaign photos and promoting women being strong and being able to look after themselves, changing perceptions, etc. We also want to take the sting out of stereotypes and want to normalise gun-ownership among females. Sometimes the only way to do this is to put it out there!

Our first pledge when GOF was started in 2015 was quite strong:

GOF OLD PLEDGE.jpg

The new campaign will look at women looking after themselves in general, and taking it a bit further than just firearms, #VictimNoLonger, and I am currently busy with an article specifically looking at women not being victims in South Africa.

Here is one of our other campaign photos that will be distributed - as you can see we have the young, the old, some with guns, some without guns - we are every women, support us, or don't.

Campaign-1.jpg

"Strike the Women strike the Rock"

Facebook-Banner-Bigger.jpg

Lynette for Girls On Fire....

That pic is one part of the poster array.... Have you gone to look at the posters on the FB page ??

I think they look great ...

It's eye catching , shows diversity in our members

And it's not disrespectful to the normal and natural ladies out in SA who carry and shoot , everyday ....

Love the debate and the campaign has not even been launched :)

Yes the preconceived notion of female firearm ownership in South Africa ranges from that of a man hating grumpy grouch knuckle dragging Bushwacker to the notion that females should not own firearms..... The men that don't agree with these notions will inevitably be those that participate in sport where there are women present, for example IPSC or IDPA, AND ARE EXTREMELY SUPPORTIVE.... To the husbands and partners who REALLY want their families to be safe ....

These campaign posters are showing the diversity of race, body type and culture of female firearm owners..... Not different to our male counterparts demographic.

Ladies and guns make men hot under the collar .... And the boys love to watch a sexy barely clad sex kitten kick ass and shoot like a demon ... But then ask them to dress their wives and daughters like that and display them in that fashion .... They would reject that Soo fast your head will spinning .....

Then there were previous comments were made on the visual of "girls in bikinis" and how that the demeans both the sport and the females involved... Well I don't think Girls on Fire has done this at all.... These are not models or paid for extras ... These are real ladies who all own a firearm , carry a firearm , participate in firearm sports ... This is the reality ... The real face ... Not a primed and preened version that suits the Hollywood glamorized images you want to represent lady shooters .... We are not all built like Dene Adams .... Let's face facts

They are also just the start of showing the public what empowered ladies, with Any for of self defence, looks like ...

We have a cameo and memes competition opening shortly and look forward to seeing your photo entries, in your pencil skirt and behind your desk depicting concealed carry, self defence and empowerment ....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast