Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Feral pork for table fare?

Is feral pork good to eat, or are there health issues to consider ie measles or similar diseases? Pigs are omnivores which means rotting carcasses and similar form part of their diet yet one often hears about bush pigs being eaten without any worries.

Background: a friend has done me a few favours over the past year and I would like to invite him over for a wine and dine as a thank you. Usually we prepare antelope steaks or similar but this particular fellow really does not like venison.

Feral pork would make for a good go-between, especially if he and I can go after them together.

On a sideline: does anyone know of feral pigs in the NW area?

Default Re: Feral pork for table fare?

By feral pigs do you mean European bush pigs (black in color) or the South African bush pig (brown in color)? If the European one, we have been breeding with them for a couple years already and never found anything wrong with the meat. Infact the meat is tender and as close to lamb as you can get in my opinion.

Side note: we skin it like normal wild animals, this eliminates hair getting onto the meat. The fat is sometimes very thick but excess fat gets cut off but leave enough on which really gives good flavor to the meat when braaing or even in the oven.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Banned

I mean domestic pigs running and living wild and creating havoc to crops.

User

There are many strains of the bog. Fastest evolving mammal around.

The meat is cool. Can be a little wild. Few things I've done :

1. Curry powder, vinegar and onion. Will give you a sosatie kind of flavour. Best for chop cuts.

2. Roast I like to use sundried tomatoes and herbs with a bit of bread crumbs and olive oil to make a thick paste. Then clay pot in the oven with some red wine. Add you turn the paste will fall off but you will get a nice red coloration in the meat where it has soaked in.

3. You can use buttermilk for one or two days. It will soften the meat and pull some of the wild taste. Wash it off and season or marinade.

If you sit one be mindful of an old boar as the bigger the testicles are the more franc the meat can be. Shot a nice meat piggy of around 40 to 45kg.

Good hunting and enjoy.

User

I have hunted ferral pigs in Riebeeck Kasteel, Malmesbury and Wellington, these are the domestics pigs, that inter-bred with the European boar, that run wild, the ones we shot, we opened up, and if there was any growth on the tongue or liver, we dug a hole, and burried the whole pig, but the rest was good healthy meat.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by johanvb View Post
    I have hunted ferral pigs in Riebeeck Kasteel, Malmesbury and Wellington, these are the domestics pigs, that inter-bred with the European boar, that run wild, the ones we shot, we opened up, and if there was any growth on the tongue or liver, we dug a hole, and burried the whole pig, but the rest was good healthy meat.
    Growth? Parasite or tumor, or what should one be looking for?

Wouldn't other animals dig up such a burried animal?

User

Well..dunno if it is a parasite,https://www.google.co.za/search?q=pi...1lilY2tsDL4V6M , but if the liver is not clear red, and has "spots" on it, we buried it...just to be safe, other animals dig it up..they could probably yes.

There is a guy near Vanderbijl Park that has "European Bushpig" to hunt at R45/per kilo and upwards however a mate of mine shot one and it looks as if they have inbred with normal pigs as some are brown, black and even spotted.

Feral pigs as far as I am concerned and not pure European Bushpig.

Just be careful with pig meat. My dad use to be a Health Inspector and it was always drilled into me that Pig meat is the one that also needs to be well cooked.
    As pigs eat what ever they can get too. Wild once even more so. And was always told pig meat thats not right will give you tape worm in the best scenario.

But im no expert on this. just got this drilled into me over many years.

User

I have been chowing bushpig my whole life.On the wild creature side it is a close second to a plump Eland cow.
    Usual criteria of a young boar or a sow [carcass weight between 18 and 35kg] are the best eating. Kill it cleanly as well,do not chase or stress pig.
    This is a totally different animal and meat compared to a Warthog.

While i do not have experience with feral hogs,the meat is closer to Bushpig than Warthog.

Skin the Hog,cut off any excess fat and cook like you would mutton.
    We have braaid Bushpig,curried it,potjied it,used it whole in spit braais,roasted it....you name it.

We have allways checked the liver [scare about swine fever ect] and been told to discard pig if the liver had white coloured mottles or any other sign of

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast