Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 55gr V-Max

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: 55gr V-Max

What has paying or not paying got to do with caliber and bullet choice????

In any case, no, I really shoot/hunt a lot of pigs, including bushpig. A .223, no matter bullet construction, is not putting down pigs reliably. If the angle is just a bit of on a head shot the V Max is likely to deflect against the skull leaving a wounded bushpig with severe pain. You will not be able to track him down.

In Afrikaans, as there is nou English version of this, but "'n .223 is vir hase en dasse." (A .223 is for rabbits and rock rabbits."

Banned

What has paying or not paying got to do with caliber and bullet choice????

I think a lot of non paying hunts has little rules. ( I have seen people using 223 on driven kudu hunts. ) And the culling industry has contributed to the 223 as a calibre that can put anything down as long as you shoot it in the brain.

User

Them invincible pigs again :)

Anyways, so people agree that it will kill the pig with a normal headshot, but why is that the issue at hand?
    I mean in most terrain you will not get a second chance on the pig again, and a missed brain shot is the very same thing with a 30-06 or a 223. If you miss a headshot on a non moving target what is your chances on a running animal now, with any caliber for that matter?

I say the issue at hand is shot placement, debating the merits of specific calibers and headshots with the specific type of animal a distant second.
    Aim for the boiler room with your current rifle and be done with it.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Exactly. Paying or not paying should not have anything to do with hunting ethics, especially with regard to using enough gun. There are a few family members and friends every year that want to "help me control the pigs" in the lands and grazing. I don't charge them a cent, BUT, even for free and pigs as vermin this side, I enforce .243 with good bullet construction as minimum caliber. Wounding because of stupid caliber choice is never acceptable.

Regarding the ".223 on driven kudu hunts" Lets not go there, again... We all know you can kill a elephant with a .22 LR with standard velocity ammo, but it is not the way to do things. You can also kill a buffalo with a piece of hardened and sharpened wire, etc etc...

A .223 with V-Max is not reliable to kill bushpig. Head shots, Tail shots, any shots for that matter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Them invincible pigs again :)

I mean in most terrain you will not get a second chance on the pig again, and a missed brain shot is the very same thing with a 30-06 or a 223. If you miss a headshot on a non moving target what is your chances on a running animal now, with any caliber for that matter?
    Maybe I was misunderstood. I was not referring to a missed shot but to a shot that hit the head without killing the pig. My point is that putting down a pig, wounded in the head, would be very difficult with a .223 and V-Max bullets.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Maybe I was misunderstood. I was not referring to a missed shot but to a shot that hit the head without killing the pig. My point is that putting down a pig, wounded in the head, would be very difficult with a .223 and V-Max bullets.
    Nope, that is exactly how I understood you.
    My point is most animals wounded in the head is because of poor placement, not lack of penetration, they place the bullet somewhere in the head instead of hitting the brain itself.
    Thereafter it becomes exponentially difficult to hit the animal and the caliber itself becomes almost irrelevant.

That is why I said place maximum emphasis on hitting the vitals the first time, if that be the heart lung area then surely the old six get preference over the 223.

User

Does the v max disintegrate in a soft animal say like a monkey or would the core still remain solid like say the 30-06 bullet

User

A 55gr Vmax from a 22-250 (same bullet, faster speeds), blows a monkey up badly.
    The same Vmax surprisingly holds together in a Mountain Reedbuck/Springbuck/Klipspringer, with small entrance and slightly larger exit.
    No visible blowing up
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

My old .22 has had it's day ( slazenger single shot )
    Chose between 22-250, 222, and 223 the Cz 527 night sky 223
    1/ 9 twist hope I made right choice mainly for monkey's

User

I use a 22-250 a lot. Mostly the Hornady plain old soft points ( prefer them) but have used the V-Max. It's what goes in the bakkie every day for various reasons. If you shoot the odd pig use something bigger. I've shot a LOT of pigs with this combo and haven't had a failure to reach the brain. I use it for different reasons to most. If I was going to hunt a bushpig or warthog that u do maybe 20 times a year I would grab a heavier caliber. Different needs dictate different uses. As an example I shot an old wounded Eland bull frontal brain at about 50m. The bullet reached its destination. Please note these are examples. I'm sure some folk can contradict my examples. Bullets do funny things. You need to base your choice on your skills, ethics, research and needs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast