Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Chinese ACOG (4x32) Clone (big pictures)

Hi All.

Another first look review...

This installment deals with the Trijicon ACOG clone scope that I ordered of Aliexpress. Trijicons patent expired a few years back on their original prismatic magnification ACOG, which gave birth to a bunch of copies of the concept, and in this case a 1:1 clone attempt.

I don't like that the scope shipped with Trijicon branding, and would have preferred an unbranded/Chinese branded unit, but this one seemed to be the best reviewed.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A TRIJICON PRODUCT, IT IS A CHINESE COPY OF SAID SCOPE.

While the gas block I reviewed previously was a necessary purchase in order for me to fit my rail, this one is pure whimsy. I know a fixed 4 power scope is not the best AR optic for what I intend to do, and a 1-6 will make its way to me at some point in the future for gaming.

This purchase was, again, an expression of my inner mall ninja, and a manifestation of youth spent playing too much Call of Duty. It looks cool, and will be arguably better than simple irons (I hypothesized)

Packaging:

The scope was really nicely packaged in a plastic foam padded hard case. It took ages to get here (4 months), but that is on SAPO, not the Chinese.

First impression:

Again, I find myself surprised with the ability of the Chinese to produce a product like this at the price point they sell at. The scope is well put together, solid, and the "feel" (subjective) is really good. The finish on the scope housing is really good, turret cover threads are smooth and glass is without blemish.

The mount leaves something to be desired - more on this later.

The model I got uses fiber optics to illuminate the reticle - the original has the fiber tube pinned to the housing, this one is glued into the slot.

Turret covers are O-ring sealed, and turrets adjust correctly in both directions. Note, turrets are hard to turn (using a ten cent piece) but click positively and are not going to shift under recoil (opinion, I have not tested its zero holding yet).

Reticle:

I elected to use the chevron reticle, with green fiber illumination. The etching is sharp, and the illumination functions really well. As with all prism magnification scopes, the eye relief is very short (around 35-40 mm), you have to get close and personal with this thing. I noticed that the image and reticle were not in focus together when I was pointing the scope inside the house, but after some research I determined that this is normal at distances shorter than 10m (even on the original) and when I used it outside the reticle and image were in focus together.

Mount:

The mount is, in my opinion, a weak point on this build. The rail pins only mount one way (if you want the scope to fit) and I found the clamping section had been put on upside down at the factory (the scope didn't fit the rail originally). After noticing that the pins were offset on the side of the stationary piece of the mount, I turned the clamping piece upside down and everything fits perfectly.

The finish on the mount is not the same quality as on the scope, and the fasteners seem to be inferior quality. I will likely replace them before installing the scope.

Mounting height co-witnesses correctly with iron sights, though it is hard (at least for me) to get clear sight alignment through the magnification, I will have to zero the scope the old fashioned way.

Final thoughts:

I am really impressed with the scope, the build quality is great, the optics are clear, the reticle is well etched and the illumination is exceptional. Once CFR grace me with a licence I will test it thoroughly, but for now, I will chalk it up to R890 really well spent.

The real Trijicon also has tritium illumination along with the fiber optic - assuming the scope holds zero and performs nicely I am going to purchase another one and modify it to take some tritium vials (just because).

Thanks for reading.

Luke

User

Default Re: Chinese ACOG (4x32) Clone (big pictures)

Nice review Luke. Instead of Tritium vials, just get a small LED keyring light and attach it to the FO, close to the turrets. Seal it off well with black tape to stop light escaping and giving away your position at night, but leave enough of the FO exposed to still work with sunlight

User

I have a Trijicon ACOG TA-01 on my Colt, and the thing is built like a tank. It has taken a few heavy knocks and has never lost zero. Will be interesting to see it the knock-off will hold zero after being slightly man-handled over an extended period of time.

Great review.

I would remove the mount and give it a nice once over with Rustoleum Hi Heat.
    Got its own primer in. And will cling to the Alu.

Just clean the mount with something like acetone or turps. And spray as soon as dry.
    As Alu starts oxidizing quick and that causes paint to not cling onto it.
    Or dump in Swimming pool acid for 10 to 20 seconds. Out rinse spray.

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Nice review Luke. Instead of Tritium vials, just get a small LED keyring light and attach it to the FO, close to the turrets. Seal it off well with black tape to stop light escaping and giving away your position at night, but leave enough of the FO exposed to still work with sunlight
    The taped on LED will certainly work, and it would be cheap and practical, but its so inelegant:) The mods are born as much out of a love for tinkering and the creation of something functional and pretty as out of the want for night time illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by LawDel View Post
    I have a Trijicon ACOG TA-01 on my Colt, and the thing is built like a tank. It has taken a few heavy knocks and has never lost zero. Will be interesting to see it the knock-off will hold zero after being slightly man-handled over an extended period of time.

Great review.
    I will treat it roughly, specifically because it is cheap, and thus easy to replace, and as a means of getting a good idea about its internal robustness...

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I would remove the mount and give it a nice once over with Rustoleum Hi Heat.
    Got its own primer in. And will cling to the Alu.

Just clean the mount with something like acetone or turps. And spray as soon as dry.
    As Alu starts oxidizing quick and that causes paint to not cling onto it.
    Or dump in Swimming pool acid for 10 to 20 seconds. Out rinse spray.

Great review.
    That makes sense, will probably do this as a means of keeping this shitty mount acceptable for the time being - I want to try my hand at making a QD mount for it some time in the near future and a coat of paint will tide me over. If I was going to use this one for the foreseeable future I would have it stripped and hard coat anodized...

User

I don't see the point in copies unless they are going on something like an Airsoft gun.

I would rather run iron sights than something like that.

I cant see something like that holding up when dropped in a barrel or on the ground

Maybe I am skeptical or having a bad day but with things that go on firearms, you get what you pay for

And there is something that irks me about a company that puts in many years and dollars into developing products to just have their name copied onto a product that is inferior (I realize you mentioned this)

The bobro qd mount with the ACOG is brilliant if expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post
    I don't see the point in copies unless they are going on something like an Airsoft gun.

I cant see something like that holding up when dropped in a barrel or on the ground

Maybe I am skeptical or having a bad day but with things that go on firearms, you get what you pay for

And there is something that irks me about a company that puts in many years and dollars into developing products to just have their name copied onto a product that is inferior (I realize you mentioned this)
    Indeed. In this business there is not such thing as: "just as good as".
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Indeed. In this business there is not such thing as: "just as good as".
    Indeed!

and I believe in: - The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten

User

Quote Originally Posted by pdh View Post

I totally understand this attitude, specifically regarding 1:1 cloning and brand ripoffs.

I am a mechanical engineer, and I appreciate the effort that goes into R&D, and decent QC - all of which is required to build a good brand and ultimately costs money (pushing a products price up, rightfully so), I imagine that's why Trijicon have enjoyed such a long period of good business up to, and post, patent expiry. The opposing standpoint, at least from an engineering point of view, is that the price should accurately reflect the value of the item, including materials, amortized R&D costs, QC, and manufacturing tolerances.

If the Chinese have managed to even reasonably approximate the 3 factors above (R&D excluded, they copied a proven design) then the scope is likely to perform well in excess of my expectations.

There are not that many things that you need to get right when you are fabricating a product in order to ensure it is robust... Time will tell with this unit, but I am tentatively hopeful that it will stand up to significant abuse, which I will deliberately subject it to. My AR is not going to be a battle rifle, I don't have the luxury of having a "beater" gun to toss around like a EDC handgun (which is a tool, for me), my AR is a toy, an expensive, pretty, toy that is likely to be treated gently (barrels yes, gravel no).

edit: customer service is also a large part of brand value, specifically in this industry - I expect next to no followup from the supplier of this scope, while I would expect Trijicon would move heaven and earth to repair/replace a damaged scope.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast