Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Shot Placement - Eland

Tstone, I hope you don't mind me using your photo?

I am interested to learn a little here. My guess is "b". Looking at shot placements on the "www", I'm not certain.

Then would any shot within the smaller triangle be good with centre being best? Any better placement?

Default Re: Shot Placement - Eland

The Eland in the photo is standing basically perfect (broadside)for a shot in the yellow circle to miss any big bones and still hit the top of the heart at the bottom of the circle and hit both lungs on the top of the circle.
    Hunters often misjudge how big the brisket on the Eland is and shoot a bit to low if they want to shoot a centered heart shot.
    My 2c of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input Hein. I was taught go straight up the back of front leg 1/3rd into body for top of heart on our antelope. Interestingly on google the placement is generally forward on middle of the shoulder i.e. centre of my small triangle.

User

If you try and go behind the shoulder to avoid bone, like we do with normal antelope, then if you pull the shot slightly you can wound behind the heart, not piercing both lungs or whatever, so people must make sure they can place it there. If someone uses a strong bullet, like a monolithic in big caliber I would be tempted to move that yellow circle of Hein exactly one circle to the left.

The comments made in regard to the sheer size of the animal, setting it apart from all the other stuff we normally hunt.

User

I think your Triangle can come down 2-4 inches DaavG.

Yes DaavG I also saw that most of the online shot placement pics puts the heart a bit more to the front.
    Get yourself a copy of the sa jagters shot placement book.
    I think it is one of the best books to study shot placement on our antelope.
    In my opinion you would still hit the scapula in the middle of the small triangle.
    Also look at the back legs of the Eland it is standing a little bit quartering away, so better to just go behind the shoulder to hit the vitals.

I agree with Messor. In my humble opinion. As a result of many variations that could arise, I would suggest to move the point of aim to the left. That way you will have more room for any errors in judging and taking the shot

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    If you try and go behind the shoulder to avoid bone, like we do with normal antelope, then if you pull the shot slightly you can wound behind the heart, not piercing both lungs or whatever, so people must make sure they can place it there. If someone uses a strong bullet, like a monolithic in big caliber I would be tempted to move that yellow circle of Hein exactly one circle to the left.

The comments made in regard to the sheer size of the animal, setting it apart from all the other stuff we normally hunt.
    Thanks Messor. So Hein's circle for cup 'n core with little margin for error.

Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    I think your Triangle can come down 2-4 inches DaavG.
    Thanks FCLoretz.

Quote Originally Posted by Hein Kok View Post
    sa jagters shot placement book.
    Will get a copy, thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast