Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Niekie, I think I will be able to keep my breath for some time still, the older you get the better you can regulate your breathing...I will do relaxed spearfishing dives , keep it to ten meters at the most, since the area is quite rocky , so ambushing the fish will be the strategy to use, kob, musselcracker and shad usually frequent shallow rocky banks , this will be the areas where I will be spearfishing for them..the tides are great , early morning low tide , midday high tide for fishing, while spearfishing the mornings ...evenings around a fire to braai some fish...I want to make a few canned bottles of curry fish as well to take home..I will be taking along a 70 liter gas/12v/220 volt fridge as well, so I will be able to bring back a lot of fillets as well...no pressure at all, the main aim is to teach Ruan the basics of spear fishing , that is why I will keep the limit to ten meters ....
    "keeping the limit to 10m"......

My wife's family camps at Tittiesbaai on the West Coast every year.
    I love the crayfish diving, but even as a non smoker I realise how fitness affects you.
    I love hunting the mountains, but Man do I suck air when I dive.....
    At 5m depth, I barely have enough time to look and try grab a crayfish before "launching" myself out of the water like a Great White after a seal to gulp some air....
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Default Re: Father and son spearfishing /Rock&surf fishing trip to the Breederivier

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I’ve never done spearfishing. Always wanted to, though. After having been unable to catch them from the side, I decided to get a speargun the next time round and shoot the damn things.
    Just make sure you are fit, many people go through all the trouble of buying the gear only to end up frustrated because they cannot stay down long enough. This is not something you buy and use like rock and surf stuff, this is something that goes hand in hand with physical abilities.

User

Default Re: Father and son spearfishing /Rock&surf fishing trip to the Breederivier

Thank you members, I really appreciate the positive remarks Killmurphy it is a great Cob you have in your hands...beautiful fish.
    I noticed you are using a grinder set up....I just bought a Daiwa BG 8000 with a PENN LEGION II 14FT SPIN 5-7OZ+BAG as his first Rock and surf fishing set-up...I am sure he will enjoy this outfit..
    Not to brag but I thing I will be able to get to ten meters at least...this is not about me spearfishing, it is about teaching my son Ruan the basics of spear fishing , it is a sport he really wants to participate in.....water will be great , I have done this a few years back, so it is something I really am looking forward...,

User

Good, we arrived in the Cape, will be visiting family for a week and then drive to our spear fishing /rock/surf fishing destination. Did some upgrades to my spear guns, bought new spearfishing masks and snorkels. Ruan got to see his new Aliegence Grinder 14 ft surf reel , fit the Daiwa BG 800 reel , it is a well balanced outfit and I am sure he will catch some nice fish....will upload photos /videos ...

User

Members, Ruan and me are extremely fortunate, we will be joining friends at Gansbaai to fish for Bronze Whalers and edible species . I will upload as many photos as possible and am sure we will land some sharks and fish...
    Some photos of bronze whales landed on the coast of Gansbaai where we will be fishing tomorrow...

Bronzies around the chumming boats where they do shark diving, these sharks follow the boats back to the harbour and there we will engage them...

Banned

Hope you are ready for a serious gym session. Bronzies will test your stamina. Good luck.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Niekiepienaar View Post
    Hope you are ready for a serious gym session. Bronzies will test your stamina. Good luck.
    Niekie, I will take it as it comes, one at a time, it does not matter what specie ...as long as I have something on my line pulling in the direction of America..The main purpose of this exercise is to get Ruan to try and land a bronze whaler of a cob ...or even a flat fish...

Banned

Prepare for close to a 2 hour fight if you catch a bronzie of 2mts or over!

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Prepare for close to a 2 hour fight if you catch a bronzie of 2mts or over!
    Here is the masked angler busy catching Bronze whalers:

BBT, thank you I did that yesterday, caught a Bronzie just under the two meters, weigh between 86-90 kg fought nearly an hour and a halve...I will upload the full story when completed uploading the photos and video clips..here are two photos :

Banned

Congrats Gert. Great fish. Must have been a nice fight. I see you drive on the beach. Makes things a lot easier. Merry Christmas to you guys.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast