Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Using technology while hunting -GO-PRO action camera

Good day to all members, I believe you all are having a well deserved holiday and a good rest.
    I would like to know how you use technology while hunting? I know there are quite a few devices used by hunters like a GPS , drone ect.
    If possible I would like to hear specific from hunters who use a GO-PRO camera.

Discussing the use of any other type of technology devices will be interesting as well.

User

Default Re: Using technology while hunting -GO-PRO action camera

I find go pros have such a wide field of view that unless you are hunting pigs, or something very close, they are worthless

User

I agree with watch PDH said.

I used a go pro like device, couldn't even make out the buck in the video at max 80meters away.

Agree with the above. I have a few and used Go Pro's for a number of years including hunting trips but you just dont get the required distance for normal hunting conditions.

From a POV angle, they work perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

You get technology to aid you in hunting, like Drones and LTO trackers etc, and you get technology to capture hunting, but not influence it, like camera's etc.

In the capturing department surely stuff like the ATN X-Sight cannot be beaten.

User

Thank you members, the replies are much appreciated. I think using the go-pro while hunting is basically what happens after the shot, the follow up, blood spoor, retrieving the game animal you have shot....the GO-Pro works well while doing spear fishing as well as mountain biking... I do agree it is not an action camera use for long distance kill shots on a walk and stalk hunt...it will not be possible to mount such a device when shooting a heavy recoil rifle and mount the device onto the rifle it self...maybe a head mount system will enable you better video footage????

User

So what I did is make a hole in the visor of an old cap and fixed the camera to it like that.
    Used a short cable velcro stuck a power bank where the visor meets the dome part of the cap.
    Captured the stalk(with the guide warning me that it was a costly animal) , getting into position and taking the shot was recorded nicely.

If it is for recording the aftermath and even the stalking(only you will know where the quarry was past 30m) and tracking etc. I think you will be fine then.

User

Quote Originally Posted by singh17 View Post
    So what I did is make a hole in the visor of an old cap and fixed the camera to it like that.
    Used a short cable velcro stuck a power bank where the visor meets the dome part of the cap.
    Captured the stalk(with the guide warning me that it was a costly animal) , getting into position and taking the shot was recorded nicely.

If it is for recording the aftermath and even the stalking(only you will know where the quarry was past 30m) and tracking etc. I think you will be fine then.
    Singh 17 , thank you kindly for this information, I really will do the same when hunting next year. In the meantime I will be using my GO-PRO7 Black to fit on my speargun to do some spear fishing.It will give me some insight of how to make use of this camera to get great videos of fish being speared by Ruan and me...If only it is possible to get a close-up of a shark it really will be the highlight of this spearfishing trip...if I do not manage to get a close-up video of a nice bronze whaler or a Zambezi shark I will use some fish intestines/heads to lure a shark in so I can get really good close-up videos of the shark busy feeding... My target species will be shad, cob, mussel-cracker , not the black-mussel cracker since they are on the endangered spesie list...I will shoot fish up to 10 kg since older /heavier fish are the breeding stock in these waters. A crayfish or two if law permits and diving time...

Check on the gopro theres a setting where you can change from wide angle to a “normal” angle for videos, it will be better for the stuff thats further away from you. I have a hero 5 and use it on enduro rides with the bike, I use the wide angle or else it looks like im on my hand and knees thats how close the ground looks and its mounted on my helmet.

Also download the “Quik” app for editing and the gopro ap for downloading the data to your phone. Both are products of gopro and for free and works excellent.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hannesvanvuuren View Post
    Check on the gopro theres a setting where you can change from wide angle to a “normal” angle for videos, it will be better for the stuff thats further away from you. I have a hero 5 and use it on enduro rides with the bike, I use the wide angle or else it looks like im on my hand and knees thats how close the ground looks and its mounted on my helmet.

Also download the “Quik” app for editing and the gopro ap for downloading the data to your phone. Both are products of gopro and for free and works excellent.
    Hannes, thank you kindly , this information is greatly appreciated.I will receive the GO-Pro 7 Black this week and start using it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast