Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Getting started in Competition

Nicely put Big T.

Our club started a new shooter orientation to get guys used to what to expect in IPSC. A new shooter watching a IPSC match is daunting. This way new shooters aren't thrown into the deep end. They have an idea of what to expect and also have an idea if this is what they want to do before buying all the gear.

Go read about it in the October 2018 edition of On Traget Africa magazine.

User

What would you guys recommend for a newbie... IDPA or IPSC? Steel challenge?

Do I need to join one of these organisations in order to compete casually at my club (Kraaifontein)?

FWIW I'm waiting for my Browning HP license card, then I'll be using that firearm. I have 4 mags for it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post

Do I need to join one of these organisations in order to compete casually at my club (Kraaifontein)?

FWIW I'm waiting for my Browning HP license card, then I'll be using that firearm. I have 4 mags for it.
    I would suggest IPSC

Its the easiest way to start shooting without the rules getting in the way. Some clubs will let you shoot a couple matches as a visitor before you join

IDPA can work as well. You can shoot 3 club shoots as a visitor before you have to join

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    And afterwards during the social, a new guy once told me that we as a shooting crowd are actually all normal and like able people. I still wonder where that came from, what did he expect ?
    So as someone that has been involved with the shooting community for almost a year now, I can answer this question. I initially expected a bunch of scary, angry and crazy old people that don't like new comers trespassing where they don't belong. Now I know better, gun owners are probably some of the chilled and friendly people I have ever met, and probably one of the best places to make new, decent and awesome friends.

Doesn't matter.

Start today.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Doesn't matter.

Start today.
    Even better, try both and get hooked on both

User

Quote Originally Posted by armandvdwalt View Post
    So as someone that has been involved with the shooting community for almost a year now, I can answer this question. I initially expected a bunch of scary, angry and crazy old people that don't like new comers trespassing where they don't belong. Now I know better, gun owners are probably some of the chilled and friendly people I have ever met, and probably one of the best places to make new, decent and awesome friends.

Actually to put this into a bit more perspective, sometimes when you read the comments people make on gunsite and on the facebook firearm groups you'd think they are a bunch of mean people, but when you meet them in person you realize they are some awesome guys.

Yeah BigT you are one of these guys

User

Quote Originally Posted by armandvdwalt View Post
    Actually to put this into a bit more perspective, sometimes when you read the comments people make on gunsite and on the facebook firearm groups you'd think they are a bunch of mean people, but when you meet them in person you realize they are some awesome guys.

Yeah BigT you are one of these guys

Hahhahahahahha

If you view competitions as practice, and foresee the bulk of your shooting to be competitions - IPSC. Less rules, more rounds, more opportunity to "practice" shooting from a standard freestyle position.

If you want the best learning experience and are prepared to practice in between - IDPA. Less stage options, easier to understand scoring and the classifying system makes it easier to benchmark your progress and identify improvement opportunities. Usually, less targets per stage also allows you to walk with the SO while scoring and see where you went wrong. Also, if you don't follow the plan the SO will be so kind as to point it out and hand you 3 seconds to help you remember. With IPSC I see a lot of new shooters who don't follow their plan and find themselves losing 3 seconds doing a static mag change. Afterwards they are none the wiser.

If you plan to be the next Adam Tyc - back to IPSC again. More variation in speed and distance, as well as better rewards for the really hard workers.

User

IMO Steel Challenge is too hard and not dynamic enough for me to recommend it to a newbie. The IPSC and IDPA guys at Kraaifontein are all a great bunch (and many of them shoot both disciplines). As someone else said, come and try both and see what you like most

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast