Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Getting started in Competition

My only input is to try a few clubs if possible once you have settled on a discipline. You can be dead last in a match and have a fantastic time with one club, or do well in another club's match and dislike it due to the squad members (e.g. no-one is patching) or the SO etc. It all helps one grow as a shooter.

User

@ZK1 you have a G17 or G19 right?

You're welcome to use my extra holsters and mags for a few shoots

User

Yes G19 Gen5, thanks SLR, this year it will just be for fun, so will work my way up from basic gear. Its the same when I got into motocross, it takes a while to get everything...and as you go along and you start to know more, you know what suits you the best. I live in Bredell, Kempton Park, so what clubs are there around here. Eeufees is actually very easy to get to from me.

Man I really want to get into competition also, but I have to travel 200kms to durban. And I dont see any shoots or clubs around pietermaritzburg.

User

Hi Eraser, AFAIK Ihawu has clubs shoots a Mapstone just outside PMB.

User

Thanks for the write-up BigT

User

Quote Originally Posted by ZK1 View Post
    Yes G19 Gen5, thanks SLR, this year it will just be for fun, so will work my way up from basic gear. Its the same when I got into motocross, it takes a while to get everything...and as you go along and you start to know more, you know what suits you the best. I live in Bredell, Kempton Park, so what clubs are there around here. Eeufees is actually very easy to get to from me.
    Do not overthink the gear. Eye and ear protection is obviously important. Your gun, 3 mags, and just enough ammo club shoots usually 100 rounds. You will be suprised how far you can go with a plain simple paddle type holster and double mag pouch. A basic backpack to keep your stuff together. The rest of the spending should be in time and effort, and some money on ammo. From there all you need is a positive attitude, and sunscreen, and you good to go !

Quote Originally Posted by ZK1 View Post
    it takes a while to get everything
    Yeah, not really.

Other than what came in your GLOCK box you need:

1 x mag
    Holster - which you have anyway if you carry your gun
    Belt - see above
    Mag pouch - see above
    Ear pro
    Eye pro

The missing thing is generally the will to do it and the balls not to care if you don't win right away.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by D-MO View Post
    I find the steel challenge less of a hassle, time wise, compared to shooting an IDPA match. You can be in and out in about 2 to 3 hours, depending on how busy it is on the day. Safety first so join a group of experienced shooters who know the ropes and make sure you stay safe.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    For people who don't want to spend a whole morning in the sun for a couple of minutes' fun, Steel Challenge is a great option. I have met a lot of enthusiastic shooters whose wives / girlfriends don't join them on the IDPA / IPSC side, but who do enjoy Steel Challenge.

Personally I enjoy the planning / preparation / anticipation just as much as the actual shooting, so an IDPA / IPSC match doesn't feel like sitting around doing nothing for most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal90 View Post
    Hi Eraser, AFAIK Ihawu has clubs shoots a Mapstone just outside PMB.
    Do you know exactly where it is? I may want to pop in there.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast