Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default hunting for the first time... what to expect and how to prepare?

Hi gents n ladies

Im going hunting for the first time and would like to know of n e tips you can give me. my gun handling skills are fine as i am fully capable of handling most firearms... i just wanted to know how to prepare and what to expect on the trip

Thanx

Default Re: hunting for the first time... what to expect and how to prepare?

plan your own trip... i say again - PLAN YOUR OWN TRIP. there is nothing worse than getting to the day before youre supposed to leave and everyone cancels left right and centre and youre left standing high and dry...happened to me.. twice. Then common things - know your shot placement, have a good knife handy. obviously, dont forget your rifle and ammo :)

Then, you have a great time, come back and tell us all about it and post pictures !! :)

User

My 2c worth:

Only shoot if you happy and confident, dont let others pressure you or you land up with an injured animal and many hours of work to track and find it.

Having said that dont hesitate once you are happy, if you have a good shot at a good distance take it, you may not get another!

Mostly enjoy the bush and the opportunity, if you come back with nothing you must still view the trip as a success!

Enjoy am jelous!

PS what are you after and what calibre are you shooting?

User

There are life size animal targets available to practice on. Good idea to try your shot placement skills out on those before you go hunting. Practice to shoot from hunting positions, ie standing with rest, sitting and laying down, not from a shooting bench.
    Google "shot placement", there are many sites that will give you a good idea of where the vital organs are located.
    Where are to going to hunt?

User

thanx for the replys... my shot is best wid a 30.06 so ill probably use that... we're using my buddys guns as im still fightin for a handgun license didnt even look into a rifle as yet... i was going to only go for a kudu cow as my budget for an animal is R3500 n the price on kudu cow is R2500 then after speaking to a few friends the recomended that i leave my budget as is but what ever i see within my budget that im happy with i should take because often if u go looking for 1 animal in particular u can come back with nothing. thomasT i shot the life size targets this weekend n didnt to badly at all...N im going to a farm somewhere near suncity

User

My advice would be to always show respect to your quarry,both living and once you have killed it...and stick to the farmers rules....have a fabulous time.

Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Quote Originally Posted by camouflage762 View Post

thanx very usefull

User

you got some useful tips here. i would only try and ad a few more things: be honest with yourself. hunting is very much about competing against yourself and your principals. so if you wound something say so to the farmer/landowner. you wont be the first hunter this has happened to. keeping silent about a wounded animal is going to haunt you, and that is not what hunting is about.

another tip is to enjoy it and you can only do this by addressing problems with a sense of humor. and lastly get your first hunt over and done with then you and only you would know how to plan the next and believe me there will be more. enjoy!!!!!

User

Thenx for all the tips gents... highly apreciated im off this afternoon n will b back on monday... wish me luck :D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast