Default Acebeam L16 18650 battery issue

So I bought an Acebeam L16 about a year ago. Very bright light. Insanely so, in fact, at a claimed 2000 lumens.

However, I had to replace the battery recently, so just ordered some 18650 batteries, only to find out once they had arrived that apparently it doesn't use a normal 18650 but instead something called an IMR18650 battery. Can someone with knowledge in this field give me some insight into what this means?

Should I buy an IMR battery, or rather just buy another torch that works with normal 18650's in order to retain commonality of batteries?

Thanks

Default Re: Acebeam L16 18650 battery issue

IMRs are becoming more common, as far as I understand it’s the only type that can sustain the high drain that these massively bright torches require when they run on “turbo”. You may be able to get them cheaper at vape shops, but they are usually flat top so you’ll have to see if they reach the conttacts in your light.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    IMRs are becoming more common, as far as I understand it’s the only type that can sustain the high drain that these massively bright torches require when they run on “turbo”. You may be able to get them cheaper at vape shops, but they are usually flat top so you’ll have to see if they reach the conttacts in your light.
    I see. Thanks Skaaphaas. Looks like it is a step forward then, rather than some proprietary trick to force me to only buy their batteries.

User

Default Re: Acebeam L16 18650 battery issue

Have a look on www.torchguy.com . I bought a couple of Acebeams from Mark, he is based in Cape Town.