Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: .404 Jeffery, scarce or not?

Congratulations!!!
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Banned

Awe mannnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!! such a dream object that .40 Jefferies. How I wish.

Now tell us more.

Banned

Adoons, here are some old adds and stats and marketing etc to help you reflect in what it is you have.
    https://www.africahunting.com/thread...rmation.56662/

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Thanks Treeman, will have a read there.

Well, once in a while I check out firearms for sale. Bad idea....

So this add for a .404 Jeffery build on a CZ 550 Safari Magnum action and Truvelo barrel came up on Gunafrica. Included with about 100 Norma Brass, about 30 of them handloaded and some Peregrine bullets of various weights included.

The whole package seemed a good deal and it is what I wanted. A working rifle. I have used and handled a few 404's over the last few years on modified K98 actions and none of them gave me the thrills with regards to feeding reliability than I experienced with a CZ 550.

The rifle has not seen much use. As good as new. Maybe has seen 150-250 shots on ranges. No signs of field use. (I will sort that out quickly. For me this is not going to be a showpiece. It must work.) Only open sights. To get on a scope on a CZ550 should be no problem though.

The Length of pull is a bit too long for myself, but that also should not be a problem. I will get the stock worked on to fit better. The work on the stock will be to get it shorter and the grip thinner for my smallish hands. The grain of the Turkish Wallnut stock is in the right direction and they are straight. By taking away a bit of wood here and there the strength should still be fine.

The only negative comment I have is that the outside of the Truvelo barrel has some tool marks on it. (Lathe turning marks). If Truvelo did not finished it of smooth or the person that built the rifle I cannot tell. It is just not looking perfect if held in a light source at certain angles. Maybe I am just too much of a perfectionist. If it keeps on bothering me I will have the barrel removed and get it on a lathe again to smoothen in out. Or not. Will see when the time comes. A few toolmarks on a mass produced AR barrel for instance is fine, but on a 404?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post

So this add for a .404 Jeffery build on a CZ 550 Safari Magnum action and Truvelo barrel came up on Gunafrica. Included with about 100 Norma Brass, about 30 of them handloaded and some Peregrine bullets of various weights included.

The whole package seemed a good deal and it is what I wanted. A working rifle. I have used and handled a few 404's over the last few years on modified K98 actions and none of them gave me the thrills with regards to feeding reliability than I experienced with a CZ 550.

The rifle has not seen much use. As good as new. Maybe has seen 150-250 shots on ranges. No signs of field use. (I will sort that out quickly. For me this is not going to be a showpiece. It must work.) Only open sights. To get on a scope on a CZ550 should be no problem though.

The Length of pull is a bit too long for myself, but that also should not be a problem. I will get the stock worked on to fit better. The work on the stock will be to get it shorter and the grip thinner for my smallish hands. The grain of the Turkish Wallnut stock is in the right direction and they are straight. By taking away a bit of wood here and there the strength should still be fine.

The only negative comment I have is that the outside of the Truvelo barrel has some tool marks on it. (Lathe turning marks). If Truvelo did not finished it of smooth or the person that built the rifle I cannot tell. It is just not looking perfect if held in a light source at certain angles. Maybe I am just too much of a perfectionist. If it keeps on bothering me I will have the barrel removed and get it on a lathe again to smoothen in out. Or not. Will see when the time comes. A few toolmarks on a mass produced AR barrel for instance is fine, but on a 404?
    I assumed that is bad artisanship from the guy that assembled your rifle. My Truvelo barrel of my 416Remington that was purchased from Truvelo arrived as a blank and was honed to perfection by Gerrie Coetzee.

User

Congratulations, you will quickly find its going to become your bushveld rifle of choice, i have QR mounts on mine to allow a scope for hunting, and open sights for BASA shoots

User

3 years after starting this thread and at last I did it.

Became the owner of a 404 Jeffery rifle. License application to be handed in this week I hope.

I bet Gert will approve of my choice.
    Great news Adoons, very exiting having a 404 Jeffery, to me it is the ultimate rifle for a hunter enabling him to hunt from a duiker to an elephant and enjoy shooting it at the range.

Adoons congrats on your 404. Here’s my CZ in 404 which I am very fond of. The RMR red dot sight is amazing even for my reasonably k-k eyes and doesn’t break the good lines of the rifle too much. 400gr swift or rhino over H4350 seems to do the trick . A lifetime of enjoyment is waiting for you. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

That is a good looking rifle. Beautiful stock!

Still waiting on CFR for license, but I hope for it any day now. Have handed in the 404 application 6 weeks after a 6,5x55 I bought and the license for the 6,5x55 received about 6 weeks ago, so I hope it did not get lost somewhere in a stack and "the system" use the same timeframes.

Thanks Adoons. Yip It seems I’m a sucker for an old calibre and was pretty lucky to find this. I also have a 6.5x55 and it shoots really well. How you finding yours? I find mine gentle enough for youngsters and is a good all rounder in my experience as long as I don’t get too ambitious on animal size! Easy to handload for and given the interest in the creed there’s lots of choice. Lekker enjoy them both! I was at the range recently and got that familiar stoot from the 404 pushing a 400gr SAF at 2280fps! Lovely stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5