Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Really Good Shooting Sticks.( Picture heavy)

Since June last year, I have been using a set of Viper Flex shooting sticks both when hunting alone and when guiding clients. They are really well thought out and practical. I'm not sure if they are available locally and if they are they will be expensive. However, if you hunt a lot or are a ph they are certainly worth the price.

The sticks can be used as a tripod when you're in a hurry or when you have the time and need more stability the rear support fold out giving a very steady field rest.

More info here... http://bigwatersafaris.com/blog/2019...-flex-journey/

Three shots at 300m, standing position from the sticks. The multi tool is 11.5cm long.

User

Default Re: Really Good Shooting Sticks.( Picture heavy)

Here is a local Version not quite the same as you can’t use it as a tripod. It is rather cheap as an alternative.
    Available from Safari and Outdoor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce.patience View Post
    Here is a local Version not quite the same as you can’t use it as a tripod. It is rather cheap as an alternative.
    Available from Safari and Outdoor

Those sticks only have 2 x feet, ie a bipod
    I have found that the tripod is far more stable.
    Interestingly enough, we broke 3 x pairs of the Primos Gen 2 trigger sticks last season. The Gen 3 looks more sturdy, but has anyone tried the Gen 3 before we buy?
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

These “bi-pod” sticks are all I use now days. They have the two points of contact with the rifle which makes them super steady. They are a little difficult to get setup on your own however.

I spend 5 minutes with the tracker/ph before we go out practicing the setup and then I hand them over. When getting on target it takes no longer to setup compared to the tripod and 100% stable.

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Those sticks only have 2 x feet, ie a bipod
    I have found that the tripod is far more stable.
    Interestingly enough, we broke 3 x pairs of the Primos Gen 2 trigger sticks last season. The Gen 3 looks more sturdy, but has anyone tried the Gen 3 before we buy?
    We tried two sets of trigger sticks, neither lasted three months.

@ bruce.patience, I have a set of those too. The bungi cords make it hard to set up by yourself, it doesn't stand by itself and if the shooter lifts his rifle from the sticks it does a mousetrap impersonation. Also it is difficult to track a moving animal and virtually impossible to shoot at a moving animal.

The Viper Flex is easy to set up alone, set up as tripod, flip out rear support. It is expensive though.

I swear by my Viperflex sticks.

I got mine from Wildman in Kimberly a few years back. Not sure if they still stock them

User

Does anyone know if the Viper Flex are distributed locally?

I got mine from Wildman in Kimberley as well, fantastic piece of kit. Worth every cent

I have been using Viper Flex shooting sticks for a little over two years now, I have two sets, and I firmly believe that there is no better shooting rest for hunting. Set up as a tripod, it serves well for quick close range shots and with the back rest employed it is stable enough to take shots at ranges longer than most of us should be shooting at game. The photos below are of 2 shots fired at 300m and another 2 at 400 metres, this morning over these sticks. Rifle used was a Howa 6.5 Creedmoor with 143gr Hornady ELD-x bullets. Graduations on the multi tool is in inches.

While I still use a bench for testing handloads, I do most of my sighting in and confirming of zero rifles off these sticks.

User

I have moved over to Stable Sticks.
    The Primos etc just didn't cut it.
    Have a Bog Pod as backup
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast