Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Really Good Shooting Sticks.( Picture heavy)

Primos sticks don't last with frequent use, they might work for someone who hunts two or three times a year. We've had two pairs, neither of them made it past three months. It normally starts with one leg refusing to either extend or retract, normally when an exceptional trophy animal is standing out there.

Bog Pod is very stable, it is also very slow to get into action, especially on uneven ground. I was given a Bog Pod and managed to break it in less than a season. A Bog Pod works great for setting up in a fixed position, like on a range or for a voorsit hunt.

User

Primos sticks are scared of dust. They just look at it and get stuck in one position.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

My primos tripod are about 10 years old. We've hunted +-1000 animals in that time, granted not all of them was from the sticks. Maybe I'm just lucky but mine still works fine. Looks like trash though after all these years.

I have a few sets of sticks and my next investment would be the one TStone recommend. Some clients just can't shoot over sticks and other seem to be naturally gifted to the task.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Since June last year, I have been using a set of Viper Flex shooting sticks both when hunting alone and when guiding clients. They are really well thought out and practical. I'm not sure if they are available locally and if they are they will be expensive. However, if you hunt a lot or are a ph they are certainly worth the price.

The sticks can be used as a tripod when you're in a hurry or when you have the time and need more stability the rear support fold out giving a very steady field rest.

More info here... http://bigwatersafaris.com/blog/2019...-flex-journey/

Three shots at 300m, standing position from the sticks. The multi tool is 11.5cm long.

Thread resurrection:)

Is the fifth let worth the extra cost?

Secondly, do have an opinion on the aluminum vs carbon construction?

User

I'm not TStone, nor do I play him in action games but I did hunt with him this year and we used sticks like these (although the SA 4Deadhold version). The 5th leg is really helpful and makes for very steady support under field conditions. This was the first time I've ever used shooting sticks "in anger" and I'm fully convinced of this concept. getting the rifle correctly onto the sticks took a bit of practice at first but I quickly got the hang of it. Even when the animals were aware of us (perhaps without being certain what we were) we still had time to set up for a shot.

The ones we used were aluminium, and I'd think they'd be fine for 90% of hunting conditions. the extra cost of carbon my be justified if you're going to really be up & down mountains or in icy weather where your hand may freeze to the aluminium :-)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Thread resurrection:)

Is the fifth let worth the extra cost?

Secondly, do have an opinion on the aluminum vs carbon construction?
    If you ever shoot at ranges of 200 meters or longer, the 5th leg is definitely worth the cost. In fact I would get it anyway because it enables you to place shots with, almost, bench rest like accuracy when you have time to take a deliberate shot.

I have a set of Viper Flex sticks with the carbon fiber sections another set with aluminum only and a set of 4Deadhold sticks with aluminum legs. The aluminum only sets are slightly heavier but not enough to make a practical difference even when walking and climbing a lot. They are also stronger, I have managed to break a carbon fiber leg.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    I'm not TStone, nor do I play him in action games but I did hunt with him this year and we used sticks like these (although the SA 4Deadhold version). The 5th leg is really helpful and makes for very steady support under field conditions. This was the first time I've ever used shooting sticks "in anger" and I'm fully convinced of this concept. getting the rifle correctly onto the sticks took a bit of practice at first but I quickly got the hang of it. Even when the animals were aware of us (perhaps without being certain what we were) we still had time to set up for a shot.

The ones we used were aluminium, and I'd think they'd be fine for 90% of hunting conditions. the extra cost of carbon my be justified if you're going to really be up & down mountains or in icy weather where your hand may freeze to the aluminium :-)
    If you ever shoot at ranges of 200 meters or longer, the 5th leg is definitely worth the cost. In fact I would get it anyway because it enables you to place shots with, almost, bench rest like accuracy when you have time to take a deliberate shot.

I have a set of Viper Flex sticks with the carbon fiber sections another set with aluminum only and a set of 4Deadhold sticks with aluminum legs. The aluminum only sets are slightly heavier but not enough to make a practical difference even when walking and climbing a lot. They are also stronger, I have managed to break a carbon fiber leg.

Thanks for the feedback. Ordered the it with the fith leg.

User

Thanks for the advice. Will be testing the sticks on the range tomorrow. Will also try to spend some time on the running boar range with the sticks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    T Will also try to spend some time on the running boar range with the sticks.
    For shots at moving targets, keep the rear rest folded up against the front rest and use it like a regular tripod.

User

For shots at moving targets, keep the rear rest folded up against the front rest and use it like a regular tripod.
    Couldn't test the sticks on running boar target yet, but they are rock solid. (Took me a while to get a hang of using them. )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast