Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: The allure of the Big bore rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    I'm in the opposite camp...much prefer my small bores. Maybe like my woman I prefer them a little skinnier....;)
    It is because you can shoot long distance shots, I like it close up and personal..not a liking in long distance relation ships ....not yet at least..it will all change when I have a 8x68S in my hands..

User

I don't have a camp. I have interests in seeing a small-caliber make a tiny hole, blow the heart to pieces and then create a small-ish exit wound, animal going down in a few meters. Or that small caliber rifle doing a head/neck shot and the animal drops on the spot, not a single worry about meat damage.

On the other hand, it's pretty awesome to see a large caliber bullet hit an impala with so much force it knocks it over a bush into a hole, a .45-sized hole in the front and a toilet-paper roll sized tunnel drilled straight through, with pieces of bone and lungs being picked up for the next 10m behind the animal.

Both has it's own appeal, I guess.

User

toxxyc....just a random observation....and to de-myth what a lot of chaps think.
    A big bore,whether it be a .458 or 700Nitro doesn't knock an Impala size animal over.Indeed,the animal is just as likely to fall towards the hunter as away.If a full mount of a small animal like a Steenbokkie is wanted then a good caliber to use is a .458 with solids as there is just a small entry and exit wound made by the bullet and easily closed by the taxidermist.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    toxxyc....just a random observation....and to de-myth what a lot of chaps think.
    A big bore,whether it be a .458 or 700Nitro doesn't knock an Impala size animal over.Indeed,the animal is just as likely to fall towards the hunter as away.If a full mount of a small animal like a Steenbokkie is wanted then a good caliber to use is a .458 with solids as there is just a small entry and exit wound made by the bullet and easily closed by the taxidermist.
    Oh for sure. Newton's laws and all that. I'm more of the opinion it's muscle energy being released from the massive knock that causes the animal to "jump". Same as how you jump when you get a scare. Impala was then not knocked, per se, but jumped a good 1.5m, over a ~1.2m bush and into a bushpig hole. It was nuts.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    The first animal I ever shot with a big bore was a dassie, the rifle was a .416 rem mag, the bullet a 400gr soft nose, the range ±100m. The dassie died but it did not move, it remained lying in exactly the same position as before it was shot. It was somewhat disappointing.

User

T..pics or it didn't happen.
    Did you recover the bullet? Maybe like under the skin on the far side shoulder? How was bullet expansion? At least it was a one shot kill.

User

If you shoot a hanging gong it moves, if you shoot any solid object it moves, and not in your direction. That is Newton's second law, the change in momentum of an object is directly related to the force applied to it, the bigger the force the bigger the change in momentum.

You shoot a gong with a little 6.5 sweed and it makes ping, you shoot it with a 30-06 and it makes a bigger ping, you shoot it with a 338 and it does not make a ping, it makes a thud.
    I have seen many ballistic gel tests, there are several things that happen.
    Firstly, if the bullet is very powerful, aka a big bullet shot fast, the cavitation causes it to bounce around, that simply put is the object expanding and bouncing like a rubber ball, it can bounce in any direction.
    Secondly if the energy is small, the ballistic block absorbs the impact, and sits in one place.
    Thirdly, if the bullet does not part with its energy, meaning a bullet that stays together and/or shot slower, it passes through the gel with little resistance.
    Fourthly, the one we need to focus on, more often than not if the bullets starts to form a cavity as it expands or come apart, the ballistics gel block moves forward, sometimes shot off the table. This is a direct result of Newton's second law, the object is motionless until a force is applied to it. The force applied to it is directly related to how much energy the bullet is able to impart on the ballistic gel.

Now, is this related to an animal, definitely, the trick comes in that the animal is not a static one dimensional thing, it's a living dynamic thing. Take a boxer, the heavyweights can deliver a massive punch, let them punch a dummy and that thing is sent flying, like in the movies, punch another human and more often than not the human absorbs the blow. That is because of balance, and humans are already not blessed with good balance because of bipedal nature, but we manage. Animals have excellent balance because of their 4 wheel drive system, you might not see the change in momentum but the energy is definitely imparted on the animal.

How many of you guys have shot many baboons?
    If they sit upright, you hit them in the chest, what happens?
    I tell you what I have seen many of them fall straight backwards, like a drunk guy falling off a bar-chair.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    The first animal I ever shot with a big bore was a dassie, the rifle was a .416 rem mag, the bullet a 400gr soft nose, the range ±100m. The dassie died but it did not move, it remained lying in exactly the same position as before it was shot. It was somewhat disappointing.
    Ok, I am glad you mentioned a dassie.

You see I have shot many of them with a 270, and dassies have good strong skins.
    I have sent many of them flying, straight off the rock, exactly what you would expect from a hollywood movie. And sometimes the blood and gore is seen on the rock behind them, not for the faint hearted.

But still, shot clean off a rock from a stationary position, yes, I have done that, many, many times.

User

Eish, sorry for the hi-jacks, just explaining some of the physics stuff.

User

On topic, we must not forget that human nature forces humans to compete, this is directly relatable to wealth, or physical objects. Many, many men drive around in 4x4 vehicles in the city, despite the fact that they cannot really afford the fuel, and put themselves in harm’s way in the form of hijacks etc, all because they feel the need to drive one. A bigger vehicle is simply that, bigger than something else, and humans unfortunately as mentioned measure things illogically sometimes.

Hunting rifles of course is no different, big bores were designed to kill bigger animals, yet many people that never hunts DG animals also want one. The same as wood on a rifle, some people insist on wood over synthetic because they want nice things, they perceive the wood to have more of a desirable value, regardless of how the weapon actually performs. It’s like a bakkie shooter wearing camo clothes, despite the fact that he does not hunt he still feels the need to portray the image. Or a hunter sitting 50m behind his animal to make the animal look bigger, or a fisherman holding the fish so far in front of him as humanly possible, why?

I am no different, also guilty, I have hunted for the enjoyment of hunting, meaning not really needing the meat, and if I spot 3 kudu bulls I find myself targeting the one with the biggest horns, even feeling ashamed afterwards for being so petty, as if the worth of the animal is more because his horns is bigger, back to the size debate. But some people work hard for their money, if they want a big bore then why not, we only live once. We must just stop making excuses for everything, just say this one I bought because I wanted it, finish and klaar.

If they dropped the CFR, made it a license the person with no limits, man the firearm shops would be in seventh heaven, and most marriages in all sorts of hell.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast