Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: The allure of the Big bore rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    On topic, we must not forget that human nature forces humans to compete, this is directly relatable to wealth, or physical objects. Many, many men drive around in 4x4 vehicles in the city, despite the fact that they cannot really afford the fuel, and put themselves in harm’s way in the form of hijacks etc, all because they feel the need to drive one. A bigger vehicle is simply that, bigger than something else, and humans unfortunately as mentioned measure things illogically sometimes.

Hunting rifles of course is no different, big bores were designed to kill bigger animals, yet many people that never hunts DG animals also want one. The same as wood on a rifle, some people insist on wood over synthetic because they want nice things, they perceive the wood to have more of a desirable value, regardless of how the weapon actually performs. It’s like a bakkie shooter wearing camo clothes, despite the fact that he does not hunt he still feels the need to portray the image. Or a hunter sitting 50m behind his animal to make the animal look bigger, or a fisherman holding the fish so far in front of him as humanly possible, why?

I am no different, also guilty, I have hunted for the enjoyment of hunting, meaning not really needing the meat, and if I spot 3 kudu bulls I find myself targeting the one with the biggest horns, even feeling ashamed afterwards for being so petty, as if the worth of the animal is more because his horns is bigger, back to the size debate. But some people work hard for their money, if they want a big bore then why not, we only live once. We must just stop making excuses for everything, just say this one I bought because I wanted it, finish and klaar.

If they dropped the CFR, made it a license the person with no limits, man the firearm shops would be in seventh heaven, and most marriages in all sorts of hell.
    Messor, there you go again,,,,,please do not $^^%##UUIIIO^^%RRR bugger up a good story with facts, give us the opportunity to dream and enjoy our big , roaring , hard kicking death slaying , never miss big bore rifles...The 404 Jeffery /.458 Mannlicher Schoenauer (Win Mag ) rules... I am going even bigger now, I will be building my own front loading black powder canon..with the help of my good friend and mentor Johan Greyling...

The one big advantage of a big bore is just how cheap they are to shoot. Two or three shots with a big bore and you get the full experience for two or three days afterwards.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Messor, there you go again,,,,,please do not $^^%##UUIIIO^^%RRR bugger up a good story with facts, give us the opportunity to dream and enjoy our big , roaring , hard kicking death slaying , never miss big bore rifles...The 404 Jeffery /.458 Mannlicher Schoenauer (Win Mag ) rules... I am going even bigger now, I will be building my own front loading black powder canon..with the help of my good friend and mentor Johan Greyling...
    And what will you be Hunting with your new big bore cannon?

User

Should work well on them thick skinned Dassies.

User

No, no Gentleman, it will be a suitable quarry, there are fearsome , large baboon males wandering around in them rocky hills..
    A few pounds of nails shoot do the trick...accuracy might be en proved on..
    This photo is prove of how accurate you can shoot a canon, this was done on 80 meters .with a ball of lead...

User

No, no Gentleman, it will be a suitable quarry, there are fearsome , large baboon males wandering around in them rocky hills..
    Yeah but a baboon is probably going to dodge that ball :)

User

Now that is a decent entry hole.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Yeah but a baboon is probably going to dodge that ball :)
    Being more positive Messor , I believe the male baboon will try to catch the one pound lead canon ball, or that is what I will be expecting of him if he really is a sport...

User

When Gregor Woods built his 458 Lott, didn't he say that every man needs to own a rifle that he can fit his pinky in the barrel?

I am thankfull that I don't have sausage fingers.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

A few pounds of nails shoot do the trick...accuracy might be en proved on..
    This photo is prove of how accurate you can shoot a canon, this was done on 80 meters .with a ball of lead...
    Repeatable?

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Now that is a decent entry hole.
    Waiting for prepare2win to make a comment about this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast