Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Malidutch

User

Default Malidutch

Good afternoon

I haven't posted in a few weeks, might be months. In September last year I had to put my beloved Rottweiler down due to bone cancer at the ripe age of 6 and a bit. As a grown man, I never thought I would cry as much over a dog.

It happened all so sudden. A slight limp, then it got a bit worse, took her to the vet for an injection, after the weekend nothing improved and on Monday the vet took x-rays and phoned to tell me that the cancer has spread to her lungs and she is suffering. I had to put her down the same day.

5 months later and a lot of consideration I decided on a sport line GSD. Unfortunately the breeder and I didn't see eye to eye and I decided to take my business elsewhere. I've been in touch with a lot of breeders and none of the GSD's that was available appealed to me.

Enter Dutch Shepherd. I have only ever seen one at our club and it was an awesome dog. I still see it from time to time and the dog is fantastic in everything it does. Think Malinois focus with GSD ease of training. It is essentially a Malinois with an off switch.

I unfortunately couldn't find a Dutchie breeder in the country with pups available. Timing is critical as my wife is due to give birth at the end of March and we would like the pup to settle as much as possible before then.

Our head trainer, after a lot of preaching and making sure I am ready for the commitment, put me into contact with a person who breeds EDD and NDD dogs for the commercial sector and law enforcement. He does mix Malis and Dutchies if the traits mix well.

So we went there and after spending 3 hours with a 100% Mali and 50/50 Malidutch we left with a hyena. She is a lovely dog and loves to work. I need to walk her and then train her at least 30 minutes a day or she won't sleep. Luckily my almost 3 year old loves dogs and throws her a Kong which she religiously retrieves.

I heard it will get a lot worse before it get better, but with training we will preservere. The Malis and Dutchies he has on his property are truly fantastic dogs.

How do you upload photos these days?

Default Re: Malidutch

Lol. Dutchies are not malis with an off switch. They are for all intents and purposes the same breed.

Think of them as camo Malinois.

Who is the breeder?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Lol. Dutchies are not malis with an off switch. They are for all intents and purposes the same breed.

Think of them as camo Malinois.

Who is the breeder?
    Jaco Malan. They are a bit better. 😀

https://www.algoafm.co.za/article/local/98569/massive-cocaine-find-in-pe-port

This is a sister from a different litter. Same Mali mom Dutchie dad.

User

She got her first operation this week. Vet had to fix a cherry eye.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FantomBadger View Post
    Jaco Malan. They are a bit better.

https://www.algoafm.co.za/article/lo...ind-in-pe-port

This is a sister from a different litter. Same Mali mom Dutchie dad.
    Do you have a contact no for Jaco, I have sent him emails but he is not responding?
    Please pm me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

This was before her eye got fixed. I'll post another photo after the stitches has disolved and the swelling has gone down.

User

This is an almost 4 month update. Her eye is doing fine. Like there was nothing wrong with it to start with.

Her training is doing excellent, both obedience and bite work. We will start with propper tracking in the future. We have done some nose work games and she seems to be a natural.

This dog does not tire. We did a hilly 16km hike the other day and she was still running around pesting my other dogs when we got home.

User

Long needed update.

We’ve been in Malawi for more than 15 months now and I can finally train my dog properly again. I’ve got details through a contact for the police dog unit and have started training with them.

My little fur demon bit just as she did 18 months ago and it didn’t seem like she lost a beat over that period not doing bite work. The officer put on a full suit as he understandably was scared and didn’t know whether she bites properly. She went for the right bicep as trained and did extremely well. We actually got an applause from the other officers.

Really great experience and I hope I can make their lives better somehow. Couple of thoughts is getting an expert here to share knowledge, I’m fortunate to know a few great trainers, and also get them some new gear.

User

Post another pic please

User

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast