Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default Firearms at roadblock

Suggestions please.
    What is the best protocol to follow when asked if you have a firearm when stopped at a general roadblock?
    I was stopped on Friday night, I was carrying, but not asked if I had a firearm, so didn’t say anything.
    Got me thinking, what if they had asked?
    Firstly, I have never seen any “safety area” at roadblocks.
    I would NOT be comfortable removing a firearm from appendix carry in the vehicle and then handing a loaded firearm to an unknown constable for inspection...
    Do I tell them, yes I am carrying and happy to comply, but will have to exit the vehicle, make safe, and then happy to let them insert the empty firearm?
    Thoughts on how you would handle this please.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Firearms at roadblock

If they don’t ask, don’t volunteer the info.

If they ask I think your train of thought is correct.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GlockForce View Post
    Do I tell them, yes I am carrying and happy to comply, but will have to exit the vehicle, make safe, and then happy to let them insert the empty firearm?
    Thoughts on how you would handle this please.
    This exactly as you described it

User

I once got stopped randomly by a cop late at night. He wanted to look through my car, so I let him. He then asked if I had a firearm, and on the affirmative, he wanted to inspect it. I made it safe, he looked over the serial numbers and handed it back. No problem. It was still a bit wierd, because police almost never randomly stop me in my experience, but, I'm guessing that perhaps there was a look-out for a similar car posted.

User

An acquaintance was pulled over by a traffic officer in town 2 weeks ago.

As he produced his drivers licence the officer spotted his FA licence and asked if he had a firearm.
    He replied that he does. The officer then asked to see the firearm, he said its not on him but at home.
    The officer then said that they can go to his home for him to see it.

He then told he officer no, he is on his way to work and then drove off.

I found that very strange.

Banned

I was asked for a firearm every single time I got stopped in a road block. And I had to show the firearm.

My normal practice was to take it out slowly and make it safe, and then hand it to the SAP member. They checked the serial numbers and handed it back. Never more than that.

With the amount of rogue cop reports I have started carrying cable ties in the car. Next time an officer asks to see the firearm they will get it for inspection tied to my arm.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I was asked for a firearm every single time I got stopped in a road block. And I had to show the firearm.

My normal practice was to take it out slowly and make it safe, and then hand it to the SAP member. They checked the serial numbers and handed it back. Never more than that.

With the amount of rogue cop reports I have started carrying cable ties in the car. Next time an officer asks to see the firearm they will get it for inspection tied to my arm.
    This sounds sinister & interesting...
    Can you expand on this "scam"...?
    Thanks Ds J - haven't yet heard of this one but good to be aware...👍

Banned

No sinister intent, I just do not like it when I have to hand over my firearm to someone with unknown capabilities and/or intentions. Yet, should one simply refuse to show the firearm, even an honest LEO should get suspicious. So I want something which gives the best of both worlds; tying the firearm with a cable tie behind the trigger and around my wrist is unusual but should do it. They can inspect all they want but the firearm cannot fall down or be pointed in an unsafe direction.

User

Is there a difference in legalities when it comes to a traffic checkpoint, versus a police roadblock? Do traffic officers have the same right to inspect your firearm as the police?

I've been stopped at several traffic checkpoints, where all they do is check your vehicle license and driver's license. I've only been through one proper police roadblock, and wasn't asked about firearms then either.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast