Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Firearms at roadblock

Got it - thanks.
    Better to be safe than (very) sorry...!
    Good idea.

User

During the December / January period there is often a police check / roadblock on the N3 at the Grootvlei exit. On one occasion about two years ago I was pulled over and followed the following procedure:

1. Because it was late night I immediately switched on my interior reading lights, so the officer could see clearly inside the vehicle.
    2. The usual ritual of drivers license and reg was performed.
    3. When asked if I had a firearm I replied in the affirmative, and only when asked to see the license card did I present it.
    4. When the officer asked to see the firearm I explained that it was loaded and the I was going to have to clear it before presenting it to her. I then proceeded to clear the firearm and handed it over with the slide locked back.
    5. The serial number was verified and the officer recorded the number into a log book. The firearm was handed back to me and I immediately loaded and concealed it.

Not sure if this the correct thing to do but this is how it worked out for me - I always wondered how I could have done anything differently.

User

Awesome article, but one part that doesn't sit right with me is:

"Also, you may carry your sporting pistol in a holster on your way to and from the event"

From my understanding is that I can carry my section 16 with me at anytime, irrespective if I am coming from an event or going to one due to the legal use clause...

User

I was stopped at a road block in January on route to PE, the police officer asked if I was carrying a firearm I replied yes. He said he needs to verify the licence with the serial number. I informed him it was loaded and asked him if I can exit the vehicle to unload safely. I gave him the licence and proceeded to the front of my vehicle to be able to point the firearm away from all other parties. Removed firearm from holster and pointed in a safe direction, ask if I must unload the firearm and he responded it is not necessary he just needs to verify the serial number. I tilted the firearm so he could read the serial number which he checked and recorded, then re holstered never unloaded or handed over the firearm at any time.

User

You guys must look dodge hey :P Touch wood,I've never been asked if I was carrying in a road block...

User

Just a few things around the subject, not the physical action of displaying a firearm.

Do they ask all people at a roadblock to get out and do a body search?
    I ask because I have never seen this, and if they don’t do this the point of asking for any firearms at a roadblock is utterly useless to begin with. I mean are they only interested in legal firearms, people willing to disclose and display them, what are they actually doing there then?

The question itself is a dumb one, not so, I mean a criminal is not going to say sure, here you go, please check that I don’t have a license so that I can carry on. It’s just as stupid as an officer seeing a firearm licence and asking the person if he owns one, what will the person say, no I just like driving around with a fake licence in my wallet?

That article that SH posted says this “ we have identified an armed person”, that is not truth nor the reality of the scenario, if we talk only carrying then the owner identified himself as an armed person, they did not. The reality of the scenario is this, I have never been searched in my life at any roadblock, how would they then identify me as having a firearm in the first place? There is a lot of clarity about what to do when it comes to showing your firearm, correctly so, but the why, I believe is just something people do to feel better. Unless it’s different to where you guys live, and you are being searched every other day, if not it’s just a farce.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    No sinister intent, I just do not like it when I have to hand over my firearm to someone with unknown capabilities and/or intentions. Yet, should one simply refuse to show the firearm, even an honest LEO should get suspicious. So I want something which gives the best of both worlds; tying the firearm with a cable tie behind the trigger and around my wrist is unusual but should do it. They can inspect all they want but the firearm cannot fall down or be pointed in an unsafe direction.
    Ds, my personal opinion is that if I am a LEO and you start cable tie-ing and fiddling with your firearm, then I will become very suspicious and nervous. But it is a scary situation to be in.

User

I really wonder what the point is of asking whether or not you have a firearm in the vehicle and inspecting and recording it when you don't do a physical search of the car.

I can't see how someone with an unlicensed firearm will voluntarily admit that he has a firearm in the car....

User

I (as most members here on GS) carry 24/7.

When asked if I have a firearm at a legit roadblock, I always say yes. But only if asked.
    I would also state that if the want to see it, I would have to make it safe first and they must point me to a safe place in which to do so. I always move deliberately slowly and always state exactly where my firearm is located.
    After making the firearm safe, they inspect it for it's serial number. I always load it again before re-holstering. I frequently gets asked about my hollow-points. The conversation usually goes like "the hollow point restriction is not applicable to civilians" and only to law enforcement personnel (which is not entirely correct, but this usually satisfies them without too much discussion).

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

"Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast