Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Load shedding and rechargeable technology

So just a little brain fart from my side. I EDC a Surefire G2X, non rechargeable. It’s about 6/7 years old. With the current load shedding situation, and the advancements in technology, with more and more brands and models being released by current leading brands, it’s made me realize how effective owning a rechargeable flashlight is. Cost effective mainly. No need to constantly buy CR123A batteries although I always have spares. Just plug in for a few hours and you’re good to go. I have committed myself mentally to getting a rechargeable torch as an EDC. But only when the surefire breaks, the problem is that surefire don’t break in a hurry! If anyone is buying a new torch do EDC or anything else, I would suggest getting something rechargeable

Anyone know a thing or two about the difference in reliability between the battery powered and rechargeable? Or are they kind of the same?

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Load shedding and rechargeable technology

I have a few Nitecore P25 and they set up on a table in the middle of the room lights up the place enough to study etc. Mini usb rechargeable and excellent heat sink.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    I have a few Nitecore P25 and they set up on a table in the middle of the room lights up the place enough to study etc. Mini usb rechargeable and excellent heat sink.
    Nitecore have good back up service. Had a mate who’s handheld was faulty almost 2 years after purchase and they replaced fee of charge.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

I found their back up to be excellent.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Banned

I have moved away completely from primaries to only using rechargeable torches. I can easily charge them anywhere, and I also have a couple of Romoss 20000mah powerbanks that can easily charge them as well.
    I have the nitecore p25 smilodon, the MH12 and the HC60 headlamp torches.
    They perform flawlessly during load shedding and really light up my house, so much so, that the neighbours think I'm the only house that has power!!

Banned

Soon I'm gonna sell off my old tech Maglite's etc

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    I have moved away completely from primaries to only using rechargeable torches. I can easily charge them anywhere, and I also have a couple of Romoss 20000mah powerbanks that can easily charge them as well.
    I have the nitecore p25 smilodon, the MH12 and the HC60 headlamp torches.
    They perform flawlessly during load shedding and really light up my house, so much so, that the neighbours think I'm the only house that has power!!
    I’m going to get there eventually. Just have to justify the spend for now!

Nitecore is a good brand

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Soon I'm gonna sell off my old tech Maglite's etc
    The old faithful maglites. Can’t go wrong. But technology has advanced so much

User

Quote Originally Posted by Luqi91 View Post
    So just a little brain fart from my side. I EDC a Surefire G2X, non rechargeable. It’s about 6/7 years old. With the current load shedding situation, and the advancements in technology, with more and more brands and models being released by current leading brands, it’s made me realize how effective owning a rechargeable flashlight is. Cost effective mainly. No need to constantly buy CR123A batteries although I always have spares. Just plug in for a few hours and you’re good to go. I have committed myself mentally to getting a rechargeable torch as an EDC. But only when the surefire breaks, the problem is that surefire don’t break in a hurry! If anyone is buying a new torch do EDC or anything else, I would suggest getting something rechargeable

Anyone know a thing or two about the difference in reliability between the battery powered and rechargeable? Or are they kind of the same?
    Why not just get some rechargeable CR123 batteries, then you have the best of both worlds, so when Eskom breaks and we don't have electricity for extended periods of time you have the option of using a normal battery as well.

I got some good batteries and a charger from the Torch Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Luqi91 View Post
    The old faithful maglites. Can’t go wrong. But technology has advanced so much
    True, but Maglite is more than just a torch, it also makes for a pretty good baton. I'm surprised they havn't kept up with the times. Their torches are/were brilliant for their time

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    Why not just get some rechargeable CR123 batteries, then you have the best of both worlds, so when Eskom breaks and we don't have electricity for extended periods of time you have the option of using a normal battery as well.

I’m a little skeptical. I haven’t done the necessary research, but I’ve been advised by people that I respect, that using rechargeable batteries in a torch (surefire) that isn’t designed to take rechargeable, could lead to issues? The composite of the batteries are different?

True, but Maglite is more than just a torch, it also makes for a pretty good baton. I'm surprised they havn't kept up with the times. Their torches are/were brilliant for their time
    Yeah true that. Can’t argue with that. But it’s difficult to compete the brightness (lumens), size as rechargeable technology of some of these new guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast