Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Head shots on buffalo?

A buffalo's skull is huge and unless you actually hit a horn, in which case you have a more serious problem than taxidermy woes, head shots do not do enough damage to ruin the trophy. I have brain shot a buffalo and have seen quite a few skulls of brain shot buffalo and the damage was not enough to ruin the trophy.

The main problem with head shots is that it is very easy to wound.

User

Linked to this, what do the trails guide learn when they do advanced rifle handling course to stop charges? Headshots as well?

User

AL, with ARH, exersizes 2 - 4 are on the FGASA 'static.' (ie. bulls-eye) targets where brain and brain case hits count. On ex 5 & 6, which can be buff, lion or hippo targets, only brain shots count.

User

.Sorry double post

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    It is a very sad sound. Both blue- and black wildebeest also, occasionally, bellow when giving up the ghost.
    I slaughtered a huge Brahman bull a while back, when shooting it with a .22 LR Gevarm E1 , it fell down, rolled on it`s side a let out a death bellow exactly as some buffaloed do when they die of a rifle shot...it really was extremely strange to hear this sound from cattle like Brahman bull...I have slaughter a lot of cattle for meat processing the past ten years and this was the first time ever I heard a death bellow from cattle...

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    It is a very sad sound. Both blue- and black wildebeest also, occasionally, bellow when giving up the ghost.
    I had also had a BWB give loud, high pitched nasal 'squeal' when getting shot. One of the saddest sounds for me is a back bear death bellow.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    I slaughtered a huge Brahman bull a while back, when shooting it with a .22 LR Gevarm E1 , it fell down, rolled on it`s side a let out a death bellow exactly as some buffaloed do when they die of a rifle shot...it really was extremely strange to hear this sound from cattle like Brahman bull...I have slaughter a lot of cattle for meat processing the past ten years and this was the first time ever I heard a death bellow from cattle...
    Gert, you must have half shot the brain.

Normal well placed brain shot all the cattle I have seen being shot in more than 30 years of being big enough to witness farm butchering cattle goes downs without a sound- they just hit the ground. This include Hereford bulls that weight more than 1100kilogram alive.

User

Default Head shots on buffalo?

Quote Originally Posted by Finkelstein View Post
    Gert, you must have half shot the brain.

Normal well placed brain shot all the cattle I have seen being shot in more than 30 years of being big enough to witness farm butchering cattle goes downs without a sound- they just hit the ground. This include Hereford bulls that weight more than 1100kilogram alive.
    I’ve witnessed several cattle dispatched in this manner by my late father using a 30-30 lever gun. All would drop to the front knees first, then roll over and kick for a minute. Once, a jacketed round was recovered in the spinal cord vertebrae just aft of the base of the skull. The old man had a talent for killing beef, North Koreans and Chinese soldiers.
    I have been given the talking-to about head shots on game in Africa, by my acquaintance in another forum who is from Durban and guides hunts, after suggesting a good marksman could easily pull it off within reasonable distances. He posted a couple of videos for me to watch, showing how easily things can go terribly wrong for the hunter…and the animal, not the least.
    R/Griff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2