Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Head shots on buffalo?

Why don't hunters take head shots on buffalo? The simple reason for asking is that most buffalo I have read about are shot at less than 100m, usually around 40m-80m. Theoretically it should be possible to hit a small target at that distance.

Known reasons:
    1. The target area is quite small. I spoke to a seasoned ph and he said that one has to "break an imaginary broom stick between the ears" to insure a head shot.

2. The boss of the horns and the angle of the forehead may deflect a bullet. This makes a frontal shot difficult.

3. The horns cover the sides of the head which makes a broadside shot almost impossible.

4. Hitting a moving target. The head does not stand still long enough for a predictable shot.

5. Saving the skull for a trophy.

What else?

User

Default Re: Head shots on buffalo?

If you shoot a buffalo in the head at a distance of less than 100m and it's not dead you are probably somewhat screwed... you will either have a very pissed off buffalo moving in your direction, or spend the rest of your hunt tracking said buffalo that is moving at speed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by RevA View Post
    If you shoot a buffalo in the head at a distance of less than 100m and it's not dead you are probably somewhat screwed... you will either have a very pissed off buffalo moving in your direction, or spend the rest of your hunt tracking said buffalo that is moving at speed.
    This. Head shots are very easy to wound with and the larger the animal is the easier it is to mess up a head shot. While buffalo are often shot at closer range, you often don't have a lot of time to shoot or a very steady rest.

User

You are not going to eat it, you are not going to carry it, you are not going to skin or butcher it, you don't worry about spoiled meat, you don't worry about anything, your only business with the animal is shooting it dead. Hence you shoot a hole though the vitals and wait for it to die.

In that regard I've always believed a death-bellow of a buffalo is one of the most tragic things in hunting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    In that regard I've always believed a death-bellow of a buffalo is one of the most tragic things in hunting.
    It is a very sad sound. Both blue- and black wildebeest also, occasionally, bellow when giving up the ghost.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RevA View Post
    The body target area is much larger and therefore it makes much sense.

On the other hand buffalo sometimes charge despite several direct and lethal body hits.

Thanks a lot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    It is a very sad sound. Both blue- and black wildebeest also, occasionally, bellow when giving up the ghost.
    Yeah but in the case of a buff, I mean the concept, getting shot, running into the thickets, and the hunters waiting to hear your death, happy that they are now perhaps at less risk.

It's like a proud beast saying "you bastards, you shot me but did not have the guts to come get me", and the hunters saying "thank god it's dead, I want none of that action".

User

Messor..A lot of hunters have been injured by 'non dangerous' game animals. Quite frankly,i wait for any animal to hopefully die or stiffen up before following into thick stuff. It has nothing to do with guts but more common sense.This applies to bush pig,wart hog,bush buck,gemsies ect ect.
    By the same token,3 or 4 'hunters' standing side to side finishing off a wounded Buff,followed by cheering and back slapping,leaves me slightly sick in the stomach....what a bunch of ass holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Yeah but in the case of a buff, I mean the concept, getting shot, running into the thickets, and the hunters waiting to hear your death, happy that they are now perhaps at less risk.

It's like a proud beast saying "you bastards, you shot me but did not have the guts to come get me", and the hunters saying "thank god it's dead, I want none of that action".
    +1 Million

Banned

To return to the topic. A head shot might damage your trophy. That is why trophy hunters take boiler room shots. The meat is not his concern.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast