Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Walk-in safe: Building it my way...

If your safe seals very well and you need ventilation,drilling or cutting through walls is nigh impossible due to reinforcing, try the following. This would only apply if safe door is as the one I have just received.
    Take inside cover of door and drill air vents the size of computer fan Ie: a circle about size of orange with numerous 10mm holes through door, do same in same place on cover plate. Take a section of the plumbing piping for a toilet outlet (also like as big as a orange) cut this to length of space between door and door inside backing plate, epoxy this piece to the door side (so you can take cover of in future). Fit PC transformer in door and fan in toilet plumbing tube connect lot to a length of that flexi reinforced electrical cable used on doors gates. You can do same on top of door, and then either draw warmer air from top of adjoining room and expel at door bottom or cooler ground level air in at bottom and expel at top vent - depending on fan direction configuration. A consideration ? ___There may be some benefit from just venting inwards to create a positive internal pressure - have not looked into that yet.
    Hope this offers some relieve - its whats being done to my door I already have, while I decide if where and when to build walk in.

User

Hey hey. Welcome back Treeman
    It's been far too quiet here without you
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Banned

Gert, one of the builders mentioned that one should keep photos of the building process. It prooves to the SABS/SAPS inspector that the reinforcing was indeed done, and that the building specs were followed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Agree

User

If you have to make a hole in a reinforced wall, you can get somebody with a industrial core drill. It hardly change a beat while cutting a 100mm core through with 25mm rebar in it. It can be done.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Treeman, you have been missedWelcome back..

User

Air circulation needs to be in place..I will pay a lot of attention to it...Good lightning as well...and a dry wall..no damp at all..

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I have a "strong room" that I build with my last building project at my house. It sure is strong and relatively "concealed", but I did not bother with SABS or SAPS specifications as all my firearms and ammunition is still kept inside SABS spec gunsafes inside the strong room.

A relative of mine modified a part of his house to make a strong room out of it. Original plans was not available and one of the walls he could not break down to put in reinforcing etc. to SABS / SAPS spec. He installed a 16 mm rebar mat and build another single brick wall in front of it, filling the gap with concrete as he went. The roof from lintels with 200 mm reinforced concrete on top. So he lined the whole inside of the strongroom with 6 mm sheet metal, (gunsafe specs are 3 mm??). In any case, a SABS spec safe door was also made. SAPS inspected it and gave the nod that all is according to the law. The FCA does not stipulate the size of a safe. So a 3x3x2 m free standing but attached to a wall and floor steel room of the correct specs is still legal. Not necessarily a clever option, by no means, but by lining out a current smallish room in the house a good strong room can be made.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    He lives!!!
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Think about a dehumidifier. I have a small passive one from Pick n Pay and works well for moisture. You might need a stronger one though.

Just as a side thought, consider a telephone line in the safe to call saps/security company/fire department etc

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast