Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Witbors Kraai - Raven what ever you call the white chested ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal.204 View Post
    Did you get hold of him?
    If not, PM me if you need decoys and calling sounds.
    Yes - got hold of him - thank you, got him on phone now, and got sounds. Have not been to that farm since though - it will come how ever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Is it just me? I'd have an almost irresistible urge to put a load into the damned speaker ;-{>}
    Yes - me too, really irksum sound. I took the sounds with to the local pub recently, put it through the speaker at a low volume. Was surprising the reactions, they varied from " is that our local crow ?" too "OMG - whats that its awful" . Place was quiet and crows called a few times and went silent, some people stopped talking and looked round some amused some clearly irritated - offended. Interesting reactions, mostly of dislike - wonder if its a primitive thing in our genes - crows ravens, bad times and death ?

So on my last hunt, 2 wounded animals found due to following the cawing of crows.

I pulled the shot on my blesbuck and it ran about 300m and keeled over under the bushes. Very little blood and the trail stopped quickly. Guide said after about an hour of looking, lets go see what the crow is making so much noise about... Haibo super lucky break as we wouldn't have found it otherwise.

2nd blesbuck injured on the elbow. The hunter / guide team started at last point of blood from prior evening. We went to go check out the crow's excitement. Up stands the blesbuck underneath the crow...

Banned

Daavg - bout ten years back I lost a warthog for 6 odd hrs - we had 4 persons searching for it. The hog when shot at about 70 m in front of us ran away 10 m and turned into the bush to left side of path.
    Marked spot of shooting with bags etc and returned to spot through day of searching to drink and eat. I knew the pig was dead from angle of shot, but where it had stopped was ????.
    We searched all day in direction it had gone.
    On one of the last return to bags for water I noticed that a group of Fork Tail Drongo's were constantly since could not recall flitting about a few meters from bags in the dense Addo bush. I recalled a article about drongo's waiting at dead animals for flies to arrive - could it be was it possible ????
    Yip - maybe 3 - 5 m from where I shot the pig lay, right next to where I shot it from. The pig had ran away down path turned into bush and ran back up past where it stood right up to where I stood before going down. I did not hear it because I ran after pig ( not any more I don't).
    So yes Crows - Vultures - Drongo's can help if you know what to look for.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Lovely stories. Very informative about the Drongos and flies.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

This thread is just a murder of crows.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    This thread is just a murder of crows.
    Ddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-dssshhhhh

Are we nou Counting Crows as well?

Hat, coat........ door

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Lovely stories. Very informative about the Drongos and flies.
    Later testing or observing after a shot animal has been bush dressed and left in velt while bringing vehicle closer or what ever is that in some parts of E/Cape if you able to raise yourself above canopy, 5 -7 ft you will often note a Drongo or two within a hr or two in the summer spring type months.
    You you will also see them at old rotten carcass, but the came and go - with our subject they sit like sentinels and wait for flies - flitting out to catch and back to perch

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Daavg - bout ten years back I lost a warthog for 6 odd hrs - we had 4 persons searching for it. The hog when shot at about 70 m in front of us ran away 10 m and turned into the bush to left side of path.
    Marked spot of shooting with bags etc and returned to spot through day of searching to drink and eat. I knew the pig was dead from angle of shot, but where it had stopped was ????.
    We searched all day in direction it had gone.
    On one of the last return to bags for water I noticed that a group of Fork Tail Drongo's were constantly since could not recall flitting about a few meters from bags in the dense Addo bush. I recalled a article about drongo's waiting at dead animals for flies to arrive - could it be was it possible ????
    Yip - maybe 3 - 5 m from where I shot the pig lay, right next to where I shot it from. The pig had ran away down path turned into bush and ran back up past where it stood right up to where I stood before going down. I did not hear it because I ran after pig ( not any more I don't).
    So yes Crows - Vultures - Drongo's can help if you know what to look for.
    That's one for the memory bank, thanks! Cool story.

User

The crows can be useful, when you do voorsit hunt in the Karoo for springbok. The crows always tell me if there is an animal lying in the veld where I shot by doing a few circles over the area.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast