Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Banned

Default Re: Optimum .22lr barrel length?

Thank You Meteor, what a valuable post, watched it twice very interesting light input that contributes vastly to the average guys "know"

User

I have a very old Winchester with a 20"+ barrel and a Ruger 10/22 Takedown with a 16" barrel which is at the Gunshop while I am waiting for the licence to be approved. I have shot the Winchester for over 10 years and I have run a few mags for the 10/22 at the dealers shooting tunnel.
    The lighting in the tunnel is not good and I am having trouble with the Iron sights, so my shot placement can not be great. This means I cannot really compare accuracy.
    The only comment I can make, is that after dozens of rounds through the 10/22, the barrel stays remarkably clean. On the Winchester, I fire only one round and if I look in the barrel, it is REALLY dirty already. It seems that the short barrel is better at "blowing" out the debris and staying way cleaner...

User

I would say that the barrel of the Winchester is old , has imperfections and possible internal pitting.
    This rough interior surface attracts and holds gunk to a much larger extent than a barrel in good nick.
    Don't think what you are seeing has anything to do with barrel lengh.

Banned

I like to think some burnt debris remain in 22" barrel due to it being much longer than needed for full burn of powder causing some burnt propellant not to be blown out , as where the 16 is spurting fire out front and burnt debris with it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    I would say that the barrel of the Winchester is old , has imperfections and possible internal pitting.
    This rough interior surface attracts and holds gunk to a much larger extent than a barrel in good nick.
    Don't think what you are seeing has anything to do with barrel lengh.
    Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I like to think some burnt debris remain in 22" barrel due to it being much longer than needed for full burn of powder causing some burnt propellant not to be blown out , as where the 16 is spurting fire out front and burnt debris with it.
    I guess we can say the Jury is still out on the cause, but I like to think that both elements contribute to some extend.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BravoFox View Post
    I guess we can say the Jury is still out on the cause, but I like to think that both elements contribute to some extend.
    Look down the barrel of a shotgun after use, it is also much longer than needed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BravoFox View Post
    There are also other variables that may come into play. Barrel diameter and variations in barrel diameter for example.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5