Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Optimum .22lr barrel length?

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Any advantages having a barrel longer than 16" in .22lr?
    O yes definitely, and it ain't speed or accuracy, since depending on ammo max MV is usually about 18", and barrel vibrations, recoil and shockwaves ain't really a think in .22's

The answer is trickier and more obscured, it relates more to the normal use of a .22 in a rifle than anything else.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    Thanks for the detailed reply!
    At about 30/40 m when aiming at waist high target my North American Arms 5 shot revolver with 1 inch barrel often hits ground in route to target.
    Pre 64 was the some what bemused shooter who saw this this week end when trying my NA .22 out.

User

Treeman...nothing to do with bullet drop. The fixed sights [for what they are worth] need adjusting.
    Then again,shooting at 40m is outside the design parameters of that lill belly gun.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Treeman...nothing to do with bullet drop. The fixed sights [for what they are worth] need adjusting.
    Then again,shooting at 40m is outside the design parameters of that lill belly gun.
    I honestly thought that that was the trajectory - I am going to fix that thing on a bench and see how far that bullet travel at a 5 ft above ground level shot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    Very interesting. Pity there isn't rifle cartridge data available.
    OK, so it's only 1 rifle cartridge with a small sample size but try this page from the same website: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/223rifle.html

You could also look at these for .308:

https://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/308...ty-28-to-16-5/
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-and-accuracy/

A bit of Googling with terms something like "308 velocity vs barrel length" will turn up plenty of hits

User

Some background info. I recently acquired a CZ455. It still has the stock 20" barrel with iron sights. I have no use for the iron sights as I will be running it scoped. I also like a compact rifle and will be running a suppressor. So thought it may be worth while going through the process of a barrel chop while I'm at it.

User

Antilon...go for it.You certainly will not sacrifice accuracy and speed loss will be small enough to ignore.

Treeman...Think about it...A .22 bullet will not drop 6-8 ft in 40m,no matter a 1inch barrel. Your front sight needs to come down. Get it to shoot spot on at 10m then check at 40m. I reckon you'll keep em all in under an A4 size paper group at that distance.

User

Getting back to the ideal barrel length for a .22lr rifle, my experience is as follows:
    Some years ago my gunsmith (Vince at Ritchies) cropped my BRNO no. 2 barrel to 16 inches, re-crowned, removed the iron sights and rust re-blue. It looks and handles awesomely and does 1/4 inch one-hole groups at 50m whenever I play with her. She loves Highland AX standard velocity ammo. 'Nuff said!

User

Good to hear, thanks for all the input.

User

Resurrecting an old thread. I just bought a Remington 511, .22 rimfire, rifle. It is in good condition for such an old rifle, the barrel has either been replaced or re-blued, the barrel is threaded for a suppressor and the rear sight has been removed. I have seen groups fired with the rifle and it is accurate with S&B HV ammo. I am planning to scope the rifle, so, the lack of a rear sight is not a problem. The rifle has a long (25") barrel and I can not see myself adding a suppressor and ending up with a rifle that handles like a floor mop. So I either have to use it as is, it balances really well for offhand shooting, or have the barrel shortened and a suppressor fitted.

I intend to use the rifle for shooting small problem animals and birds, ground squirrels, vervet monkeys, porcupine (brain shots only), crows and rock pigeons out to ±50m. For this purpose, in my, admittedly limited, experience HV hollow point ammo will be best. The rifle will also be used occasionally, and in season, to procure a young guinea fowl and a hare for a game pie. For this HV hollow points would probably work well too.

Is there any advantage in shortening the barrel and suppressing a .22 lr if HV ammunition is being used? In my situation and for the above purpose, I do not see any real use for sub-sonic ammo.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast