Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Educated opinions and experience with Peregrine monolithic bullets

Good day,

Like the title says I need some advice on hunting bullets for game ranging from impala up to kudu and BwB mostly in the bushveld environment.
    The rifle I have is a Remington 700 chambered in .308Win with a 20" heavy barrel with a 1/10" twist.
    I have read some articles online and in magazines about these bullets and so far it looks promising. I would however like to hear from people who have some real world experience and who have hunted with these bullets in the past? What game have you taken? At what distances and how did the bullets perform in your opinion?

Thank you very much

User

Default Re: Educated opinions and experience with Peregrine monolithic bullets

Peregrine apears to have followed the GSCustom lead and the bullets apear to be well made. I have used GSC for many years untill they started to have problems with production. I waited for 2 years and them decided to give Peregrine a try.

My 24" heavy barreled Howa is probably the easiest rifle to load for , I have at the moment a 150gr PMP load for pest control , a 150 gr Sierra load for general hunting and 130 gr GSC load that all group well and shoot to the same POI at 200m with a neglegent variation in elevation, of course the elevation differs more as the distance increase.

I say all of that of the rifle because despite the ease of load development I have had with the rifle I have been unsuccesful with the Peregrines. I manage consitent 0.5 MOA groups with my other loads while the best I do with the peregrines are about 2.0 MOA.
    I do not think however that I have done all the load development that I could, I just got irritated with the proccess and decided to wait untill GSC stock becomes available again and in the meantime shoot the Sierra's.

User

I have hunted a total of 349 animals ranging from a jackal to several eland with Peregrine bullets in the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55, 7x57 and .300 win mag. With the exception of two of the early (VRG4) bullets in the 6.5x55 which expanded very little in a blesbuck at 350m, all bullets performed really well.

The new Peregrine VLR-4 expand much easier than the earlier bullets and I have successfully used them out to 400m. I have gotten good hunting groups with all 4 cartridges with very little effort. I am ordering a new batch of 6.5 mm bullets from them in this week. If they did not work I would have stopped using them long ago.

User

I have to say that if GSC do not get their stuff together I will give Peregrine another go.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I have hunted a total of 349 animals ranging from a jackal to several eland with Peregrine bullets in the 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55, 7x57 and .300 win mag. With the exception of two of the early (VRG4) bullets in the 6.5x55 which expanded very little in a blesbuck at 350m, all bullets performed really well.

The new Peregrine VLR-4 expand much easier than the earlier bullets and I have successfully used them out to 400m. I have gotten good hunting groups with all 4 cartridges with very little effort. I am ordering a new batch of 6.5 mm bullets from them in this week. If they did not work I would have stopped using them long ago.
    Thanks alot, have you tried the Bushmaster VRG3 bullet that is designed for bushveld hunting?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cbotha15 View Post
    Thanks alot, have you tried the Bushmaster VRG3 bullet that is designed for bushveld hunting?Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Yes, in 7x57 140 gr. I have shot 2 warthog, 2 impala a young black wildebeest and a young eland bull with it. Not a large sample, but penetration was good, all were one shot kills and there was plenty of bleeding from both entry and exit wounds (the bullet punch an impressive entry hole). All 6 animals were shot at 200m or less.

Banned

Bex - I say all of that of the rifle because despite the ease of load development I have had with the rifle I have been unsuccesful with the Peregrines. I manage consitent 0.5 MOA groups with my other loads while the best I do with the peregrines are about 2.0 MOA.
    Bex - you may want to slug your barrel or have it measured. Monolithic bullets are made to fit the tightest of barrels mass produced, if you have a barrel on the large side of what pass's QC at the rifle factory, then the made to fit tightest barrel bullets may be a bit on the loose side. This can cause all kinds of issues with accuracy and throat wear.
    My .270 is on the limit of Rugers over size acceptable barrel QC. All my GS Custom bullets are .2 something oversize - groups reduced from 1.something inch to almost one hole.
    If this is the case - bullets like Sierra will work very well because of the soft construction.

Banned

[QUOTE=Cbotha15;1312789]Good day,

Like the title says I need some advice on hunting bullets for game ranging from impala up to kudu and BwB mostly in the bushveld environment.
    Cbotha - your rifle being a .308 really does not need much technical advice regarding bullets, as long as you not using varminting bullets you pretty much good to go - from PMP brown box to Nosler Partitions - its a .308, sends a 30 cal bullet at less than hectic speeds down range and gets the job done with out all the requirements of BC SD Bonded Core locked Patented in house alloy bullet construction. Buy some Game Kings - hornady Interloc's or PMP bullets and short of Eland on the shoulder bone you good to go, better than most folk with all the hyper velocity special constructed limited parameter special purpose bullets that fragment at over 2000 fps or do not deform under 2500 fps.
    You have a good tool - does not bear over thinking.
    PS : my .308 shoots and kills better with Hornady interloc's than it does with interbonds .

User

My rifle is1/12 inch twist other than that same rifle.
    I load 180gr Aframes or 180gr partitions for bushveld hunting with it.

I cannot comment on peregrine monos but I have tried Barnes 165grns TTX. The monos are usually long bullets.
    I battled to get speed from the 165gr Barnes TTX, I do not have the load data with me but I recall getting the 180gr flat base bullets to run at similar speeds as the 165gr mono.

User

[QUOTE=treeman;1312831]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbotha15 View Post
    Good day,

Cbotha - your rifle being a .308 really does not need much technical advice regarding bullets, as long as you not using varminting bullets you pretty much good to go - from PMP brown box to Nosler Partitions - its a .308, sends a 30 cal bullet at less than hectic speeds down range and gets the job done with out all the requirements of BC SD Bonded Core locked Patented in house alloy bullet construction. Buy some Game Kings - hornady Interloc's or PMP bullets and short of Eland on the shoulder bone you good to go, better than most folk with all the hyper velocity special constructed limited parameter special purpose bullets that fragment at over 2000 fps or do not deform under 2500 fps.
    You have a good tool - does not bear over thinking.
    PS : my .308 shoots and kills better with Hornady interloc's than it does with interbonds .
    Keep it simple. I hear what you are saying. Thank you very much for the advice

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast